Question PC rebooting when playing Final Fantasy XIV

Mar 31, 2019
Alienware X51 R2
CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4460 processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Power: Alienware 330 Watt Power Supply

I've been fighting these crashes for a couple years now with Final Fantasy XIV. It started before the Stormblood expansion came out. When changing zones or sometimes during cutscenes that might feature zone transitions within them, my PC will drop into a full reboot with no error screens. It is all very random it seems. I could have multiple crashes in a day, or not see any at all for a month. It can happen as early as during logging into the game, or not happen until hours later. It can happen whether the game is the only major program open at the time or if I have other things open as well. The event log offers no clues on the culprit, just giving the generic 'unexpected shutdown' type line. This is the only game it has come up with. I'm able to play other games such as Overwatch without issues.

Things I have tried:
  • Updating video card drivers
  • Lowering graphic settings in the game
  • Doing a full uninstall/reinstall of the game
  • Running the game on DX9 instead of DX11

I've tried watching my system temps, but nothing ever seemed out of the ordinary or sudden spikes that I can tell before it reboots. I don't have a large budget currently, so I'm unable to buy a bunch of parts to test and swap around, so anything that can better pinpoint the trouble source here will help me out greatly.

Thank you in advance for all your time and help.

mcdoogan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2018
Same thing happen to me a few years back when I used to play Borderlands 2. For what ever reason that game pulled so much power from my video card it was tripping my PSU. Once I upgraded it he PSU the problem stopped.

I would recommend at least a 450 if not more.