[SOLVED] PC Rebooting when started, Fans spinning weirdly. HELP

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
So I was playing some Forza Horizon 4 when my PC restarted. I thought it was just a crash. I log in and boot up the game again, and it restarts. Again, I log in. But this time I cannot even launch the game before it restarts. I notice that some of the fans are not spinning, some are at slow rpm. Now, it is at the point where I press space to log in and it restarts. It will sometimes not show a monitor post after restarting (GPU??)

Usually when my pc starts, fans go to loud rpm, then drop. Now, the rpm does not go as loud as usual. It does not change as much. The fan that does this is i believe my GPU.

Here is my thought- PC overheating? GPU failure? Malware? I cannot check because I cannot boot. To me, it seems like it is not receiving enough power. I believe it could be a MOBO heatsink problem (MOBO overheating), leading to lower power output. Then my components do not have enough power to run (fans).

This is my first PC build, so I cannot troubleshoot with other parts.
Full system Specs-
Ryzen 3700x
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
NVIDIA RTX 2060 SUPER FE
ASUS TUF x570 PRO GAMING WIFI
16 gb GSKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 3600mhz
FIRECUDA 520 500gb ssd (windows)
Intel 660p 1tb ssd (other)
Thermaltake tough power DPS 650w GOLD PSU
Phanteks P400a
2 LL120 fans attached to AIO
6 Phanteks sk120 fans (the ones having trouble spinning).

Thank you for my needed help!

Solution
Thank you. Which cables should I check?

CPU power connector, 24pin connector and the GPU power connectors. Please check them with the system shutdown and the PSU switch turned off.

Make sure they are connected properly. If it still that low voltage please replace the PSU.
Hi Boris12341.

A system restarting or shutting down by itself is normally a PSU, overheating or GPU issue.

Could be your PSU even if it's a good model.

Could be overheating. AIO's pump dead. CPU overheating or GPU overheating.

I'd start by trying the GPU in another system and/or replace the PSU.

CPU temperature in BIOS?

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
HI, thank you for replying. The AIO is about 1.5 months old, so I do not think its that. I also do not have any other parts or PCs. In the BIOS, everything is running. I didn't check the temp, and right now I am letting it cool off. So I can check later.

HI, thank you for replying. The AIO is about 1.5 months old, so I do not think its that. I also do not have any other parts or PCs. In the BIOS, everything is running. I didn't check the temp, and right now I am letting it cool off. So I can check later.

You're not supposed to let a PC cool down. If that's the case then it's definitively an overheating issue.

You just think you're letting it cool off right? Start it and go to the BIOS and give me your CPU temp and the voltages for the 3, 5 and 12V.

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
Nevermind. It restarted again. I tried without the extension, and same thing. This time it gave me a CPU warning light. No post. Next a DRAM light. I am buying a new PSU from micro center tomorrow.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Eh. Maybe not.
Asus suite read my Evga 550w G2 as 10v, as did the bios on my P8Z77-LE. HWInfo read it as 8v, as did SpeedFan.

If you really want the answer, grab a multimeter set to DC voltage (that's the — with - - - under it) and stick the black lead into the mains at a Black wire and the red lead into the mains at a Yellow wire.

If the psu is faulty, it'll be any voltage not between @ 11.9 and 12.2v.

Software, including bios, can be wrong about that voltage in particular for some odd reason.

I'd do it twice. Once at idle and once under a heavy load. It's the only sure way to see if the psu in question has a faulty rail. If it's faulty, rma it.

And I'd not use the pc until you do ascertain the truth about the psu.

Reactions: Nemesia