Question PC Rebooting while playing games

AtomusA

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Hello, over a relatively long period of time now, I have had a problem with my pc, which has progressively become worse. A good year after I purchased my pc, I began noticing crashing of games, at random times, seemingly not tied to any action what so ever. Recently it has become worse, when I play certain games, my pc will just reboot, as in the screen goes black instantly, and my pc starts boots up again. I have stress-tested RAM, monitored GPU, CPU and RAM temps, and I don't see any anomalies. In accordance with the research I've done on my graphics card, it does not seem to be going over any limits, and I haven't been able to tie the crashes up with any kind of temperature rise. I have checked the windows event log extensively to check if I could tie any system errors to the message I get when it happens, something with "A reboot was unexpected" or similar. 1/20-30 times when it suddenly shuts down, it won't reboot, it will stay on, and all the fans will go at max speed until I hold down the power button to shut it off manually, and the screen will be completely black during this time. I don't want to go around throwing money at new hardware, as it is around two and a half years old, and I have not been using it in any harmful way (as far as I know). Naturally, I have been trying to fix the issue in numerous ways, and one of them temporarily worked. I went into the bios, and gave the ram a little more power, about 0.2v if I remember correctly, and it completely fixed the problem, but again temporarily. When it gradually became worse once again, I put a bit more on, and a bit more, and eventually I started putting down the frequency, along with the increase in power I gave it. It has become so bad now, that the ram is in 1866, and simultaneously I am giving it 1v of extra power. When I got to the 1v mark, my bios changed the font color to yellow, so I figured I would not put it any higher now. I do know, that the extra power and decrease in frequency is most likely severely damaging the ram, but I feel it is the only way I can get by, and it still limits me heavily. I have now decided I want to take my pc to an expert to have it looked at, but before I do I figured I would post here as a last attempt before doing so. Is there anyone who knows what might cause the problem, and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8core
Motherboard: Prime x370-PRO
Ram: G.Skill Fortis DDR4-2400 C16 DC - 32GB
SSD/HDD: Crucial CT525MX300(SSD) / Toshiba HDHW130
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080ti
PSU: Smart SE 730w PSU
Chassis: Unknown

Note
I have posted another post revolving around the same problem a long time ago, and if i have missed anything, before commenting you could check out the post:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-screen-turning-black-then-restarting.3450980/

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
An indication that your PSU might be the culprit in all this is when the system abruptly reboots when taxed(during stress). You should also mention your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

To add, that PSU is the only thing I'd never call a PSU. How old is the unit and how long has this issue been going on? Can you check and see which version of BIOS you're currently on?

AtomusA

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
An indication that your PSU might be the culprit in all this is when the system abruptly reboots when taxed(during stress). You should also mention your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

To add, that PSU is the only thing I'd never call a PSU. How old is the unit and how long has this issue been going on? Can you check and see which version of BIOS you're currently on?
Thank you, i have set up the things like you suggested, but i am unsure what chassis i have. The issue has been going on for around a year now, and the unit is as old as the PC itself, which is around two and a half years old. I'll get back to you on BIOS version, thanks for the quick response
Edit: Bios version is "0604 x 64"

Last edited: