Question PC rebooting with 3080 FE installed

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
Hi,

Installed a 3080 FE in my system Monday morning... did an hour of COD MW that morning, a couple hours that night, no problems. Installed new drivers yesterday (457.30) and download AC Valhalla and played a couple hours of that yesterday again, no issues.

However, starting yesterday my PC has been freezing and rebooting itself with no error message or switching the screen off and i have to press power button to switch off. Hasn't happened once while in games, usually just when in a browser. PC was rock solid (more than any other I've ever had!) with the 2080 Super in previously.

Specs:

Win 10 64 Latest Build
Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core CPU [running ay 4.8]
RTX 3080 FE
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz Memory - Black with RGB
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO - Intel DDR4 ATX Motherboard
2TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive [Up to 550MB/s Read | Up to 520MB/s Write]
250GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive [Up to 3500MB/s Read | Up to 3300MB/s Write]
850W - Corsair TX850M 80+ Gold Semi-Modular PSU
Corsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB Watercooler - 240mm

I have checked GPU seated properly, have 2 PCI-e cables coming from PSU, run Furmark without crashing, Intel burn test without crashing. I even ran both tests at the same time, no issues!

So no idea what's going on, and no error messages I can find in event viewer. I checked reliability monitor and found nothing there either - and this is my main issue, as no idea where to start.

I did reduce my overclock from XMP II to XMP I then to auto but still happening.

Have used DDU in safe mode to clear out drivers twice, installing previous and latest drivers.

I suspect it's something to do with the card being idle... could I just have a bad card?

Thanks!

How long did you have your PSU because that could be reason why your comp is rebooting the psu has the power to run the card but it could be an symptom of PSU not working its best and would not try to keep switching comp on to be on safe side but. Typed your thread title on google and seems there people having same issues?. You could buy new PSU and test that to see if the fault gose away but dont think its the GPU fault but sign of PSU not working its best!

Last edited:

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
Hi, PSU is only about 14 months old. It crossed my mind, but it's a good brand 850W and the fact that the issue happens when idle and not when running furmark (320W power draw give or take) makes me think the PSU is fine.

Edit - Just ordered the Corsair 12 pin cable, so will use that when it arrives.

Last edited:
Hi, PSU is only about 14 months old. It crossed my mind, but it's a good brand 850W and the fact that the issue happens when idle and not when running furmark (320W power draw give or take) makes me think the PSU is fine.

Yeah can understand but even an good brand PSU can break and even if it happens in idle the PSU still has to power the GPU. Year and half ago my computer restarts even on idle replaced PSU and everything works good!. You can do an ram test by testing one ram each time?

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
Well - not sure why, but the crashing behaviour has changed. Instead of rebooting now the screen goes blank with a no signal message, PC is still on and then is seems to crash but with fans etc still spinning. Because I have iCue with RGB it's easy to tell. After screen goes blank, iCue runs for a few more second then PC seems to crash with RGB going back to default. At that point, pressing the power button (not long press) switches the PC off. So does feel like it could be a driver crash, just don't know how to confirm.

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
Found this post on Nvidia forums, from Nvidia employee - "Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into this issue. For users seeing this issue, can you try going into the NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> set the Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and let me know if it solves the issue or of the TDRs persist? Thank you. " https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../405129/3080-random-crashes-and-black-screen/

Not sure if it works yet, but thought i'd share in case anyone with same issues comes across this post

Bastard2k

Prominent
Feb 18, 2020
I've been running into the same thing. Applied the "fix" and so far so good. I was randomly rebooting at least a couple times a day while just browsing the web and it was driving me nuts. Hope they fix this. I suspect there is an issue with their voltage curves... Probably another driver update, or bios update. I opened a ticket with EVGA in the meantime as well just to see if they can tell me more.

Dec 1, 2020
Hey Guys! I just received my 3080 FE today (11/30/2020) and immediately ran into the same issue. I did everything everyone would normally do when installing a new gpu. Uninstall old drivers install new ones etc etc. and bang same issues as everyone is having. My PC randomly rebooting midst game or even browsing. I thought the same thing as most of these replies have said. Clear PSU issue. My old PSU was some random no name brand that I had from a previous pre built (which ran my 2080 just fine), but I figured kick it to the curb and ran to Best Buy and picked up a new shiny EVGA 850W Gold Rated today(11/30/2020) as well. Still running into the same issue. So at this point I’m wondering do I just RMA the card? Or do I keep it and wait for another driver update? Not sure what to even try at this point. Thanks for y’all feed back.

Also, I tried the above method that NVIDIA suggested. Didn’t work for me :(

Blarvey

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
So I'm having a similar issue. My PC ran like a dream with a 9600k/3600 ram/1080ti --> 2080S for a few months --> 3080 FE. Started on a 650w PSU and undervolted card, was having random reboots, driver crashes, freezing. Figured ok, gotta be my PSU, just wondered if I could get by undervolting. I bought a new EVGA 850w a couple weeks ago, same problem. Defaulted CMOS, ran CPU and memory at stock, ran card at stock aaaaaaaand still having driver crashes and freezing. I can run all the benchmarks and stress tests in the world it seems, but playing any game for an hour or two causes these issues. It HAS to be the card right? I even reinstalled windows to make sure it wasn't a corrupted driver or diver conflict.

I'm at a loss, and this absolutely blows. I'm about to return it and wait for a 3080ti and hope this is fixed.

Dec 1, 2020
So I'm having a similar issue. My PC ran like a dream with a 9600k/3600 ram/1080ti --> 2080S for a few months --> 3080 FE. Started on a 650w PSU and undervolted card, was having random reboots, driver crashes, freezing. Figured ok, gotta be my PSU, just wondered if I could get by undervolting. I bought a new EVGA 850w a couple weeks ago, same problem. Defaulted CMOS, ran CPU and memory at stock, ran card at stock aaaaaaaand still having driver crashes and freezing. I can run all the benchmarks and stress tests in the world it seems, but playing any game for an hour or two causes these issues. It HAS to be the card right? I even reinstalled windows to make sure it wasn't a corrupted driver or diver conflict.

I'm at a loss, and this absolutely blows. I'm about to return it and wait for a 3080ti and hope this is fixed.

Hey Blarvey,

I noticed you didn’t really say which brands your items were from, BUT... I figured out my issue. I have an ASUS Mb, with Corsair Ram. However, none of the PHYSICAL COMPONENTS are the issue, but instead the SOFTWARE. ICue runs a process called “Lighting Services” which in the past has given me issues, for ex, when I used to play apex... the game wouldn’t run because it thought ‘Lighting service’ was cheats. TL;DR, I uninstalled iCue, (now I don’t have access to changing the lights from RGB) but the machine has been going strong.

TL;DR;DR IF YOU HAVE AN ASUS MB UNINSTALL ICUE SOFTWARE!!!!

Blarvey

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Hey Blarvey,

I noticed you didn’t really say which brands your items were from, BUT... I figured out my issue. I have an ASUS Mb, with Corsair Ram. However, none of the PHYSICAL COMPONENTS are the issue, but instead the SOFTWARE. ICue runs a process called “Lighting Services” which in the past has given me issues, for ex, when I used to play apex... the game wouldn’t run because it thought ‘Lighting service’ was cheats. TL;DR, I uninstalled iCue, (now I don’t have access to changing the lights from RGB) but the machine has been going strong.

So I figured my problem out. One of my storage spindles was going to sleep and waking every 20 minutes (the sleep setting in windows), maxing out activity for 3 seconds and then continuing as normal. My 650w PSU I assume wasn't able to handle the drop and spike of power from the system, so would cause driver crashes and often reboot. For the time being, I simply turned off allowing hard disks to sleep in the power settings. This has to be the worst timing of a drive failing the same week I get a new GPU. If it had been an exact 20 minutes I might have found it quicker, but either the drive wasn't going to sleep at exactly 20 minutes or windows wasn't trying to wake it. It has no programs installed on it, strictly storage so I don't know if windows runs a routine to check drive functionality every so often or what. A few hundred bucks in the hole on troubleshooting, but oh well. Wild.

Dec 20, 2020
Hey Blarvey,

I gotta thank you so much, this appears to have fixed my issue! Even after I upgraded my PSU from 750W to 850W and then 1200W I would still crash! Uninstalled the lighting softwares and just like that, no more restarts. Made an account just to thank you!!!