Question PC reboots after BIOS screen

Aug 3, 2021
4 weeks ago when booting my PC I had an error saying "Graphics card not found Check your PCI-E cables", or something along those lines.

I opened up my case and replugged the PCI-E cables set into my graphics card: MSI GTX 2080TI (the one with the 2x8 pin, 1x6 pin)
This solved my issue and I was happy and playing again.

1 week ago I moved from an appartement to my house and carefully moved my computer. When plugging it in the new house everything seemed working, and the computer booted. I have only installed my internet yesterday, I played some games for a few hours and it looked OK.

This morning I started working on my PC and noticed it getting a bit hot, the case fans were not turning. When I opened the case I noticed 1 cable in the PSU came loose, and to plug it back in I had to undo the VGA cables. I put in the fan cable, redid the VGA cable and booted up my PC.

Sadly, whenever it passes the BIOS screen, the PC fails and reboots again - repeating the process.
I unplugged the VGA + fans, replugged the VGA and alas, it still failed to reboot.
I unplugged the VGA, plugged in the fans, moved 1 of my monitors into the motherboard display port - and tada, the PC was able to boot again. But no Graphics Card (obviously)..

I went into my shed and grabbed a new pair of VGA cables, removed the old ones and used these ones to check if this was the problem. No cure.
I cleared my CMOS (had to removed and reattach my GPU to reach it) I still did not find a solution.

Does anyone have any tips for me on what to check? I can enter my BIOS and my PC does not crash, the GPU fans are turning and RGB is working as well. I am starting to think my Power Supply is not working properly?

Relevant Specs:
GPU: RTX 2080TI MSI Gaming TRIO X
PSU: EVGA G3 850 80+ Gold
Motherboard: MSI z370-A PRO

4 weeks ago when booting my PC I had an error saying "Graphics card not found Check your PCI-E cables", or something along those lines.

I opened up my case and replugged the PCI-E cables set into my graphics card: MSI GTX 2080TI (the one with the 2x8 pin, 1x6 pin)
This solved my issue and I was happy and playing again.

1 week ago I moved from an appartement to my house and carefully moved my computer. When plugging it in the new house everything seemed working, and the computer booted. I have only installed my internet yesterday, I played some games for a few hours and it looked OK.

This morning I started working on my PC and noticed it getting a bit hot, the case fans were not turning. When I opened the case I noticed 1 cable in the PSU came loose, and to plug it back in I had to undo the VGA cables. I put in the fan cable, redid the VGA cable and booted up my PC.

Sadly, whenever it passes the BIOS screen, the PC fails and reboots again - repeating the process.
I unplugged the VGA + fans, replugged the VGA and alas, it still failed to reboot.
I unplugged the VGA, plugged in the fans, moved 1 of my monitors into the motherboard display port - and tada, the PC was able to boot again. But no Graphics Card (obviously)..

I went into my shed and grabbed a new pair of VGA cables, removed the old ones and used these ones to check if this was the problem. No cure.
I cleared my CMOS (had to removed and reattach my GPU to reach it) I still did not find a solution.

Does anyone have any tips for me on what to check? I can enter my BIOS and my PC does not crash, the GPU fans are turning and RGB is working as well. I am starting to think my Power Supply is not working properly?

Relevant Specs:
GPU: RTX 2080TI MSI Gaming TRIO X
PSU: EVGA G3 850 80+ Gold
Motherboard: MSI z370-A PRO
the first thing your pc uses after the bios splash screen is your ssd/HDD whatever your os resides on

so i would try a different ssd (or a reinstall of your current one) maybe source one of a differtent pc and try it

Aug 3, 2021
the first thing your pc uses after the bios splash screen is your ssd/HDD whatever your os resides on

so i would try a different ssd (or a reinstall of your current one) maybe source one of a differtent pc and try it

But my PC is booting when I unplug the GPU cables (in the PSU). Eliminating a faulty SSD, correct?

Aug 3, 2021
So basically the only working scenario is when the gpu is disconnected (by taking out the pci express cables), correct?
Yes, my only concern is that the back of the PSU has 4 slots for VGA (and I have tried most combinations, as I need 2 slots for this card).

I am currently using the MB, CPU1, SATA1, SATA2, PERIF1 + 2x VGA. It shouldnt be that it suddenly is drawing too much power? Because it was working before I moved..
2002345883.jpeg

Yes, my only concern is that the back of the PSU has 4 slots for VGA (and I have tried most combinations, as I need 2 slots for this card).

I am currently using the MB, CPU1, SATA1, SATA2, PERIF1 + 2x VGA. It shouldnt be that it suddenly is drawing too much power? Because it was working before I moved..
2002345883.jpeg
possibly, but it's hard to pinpoint as moving your gpu to another system can confirm/disprove this
to my mind there is no issue with your PSU

i am a bit worried bout the extra "pci express cables from your shed" are those pci cables that came with the psu?
(it's a bad idea to mix psu brand cables)

can you try my first suggestion, you can even use an HDD to try it

disconnect all drives, only connect the "new" drive and install windows on it, see if it boots

Aug 3, 2021
possibly, but it's hard to pinpoint as moving your gpu to another system can confirm/disprove this

i am a bit worried bout the extra "pci express cables from your shed" are those pci cables that came with the psu?

disconnect all drives, only connect the "new" drive and install windows on it, see if it boots

Yes the cables that came along with the PSU. It came with a 2nd pair in case of rich people with 2 GPUs.

I will try to create a Windows installation USB and install on my HDD and check if this works.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Aug 3, 2021

It wont let me install Windows on my HDD (cant partition it / doesnt allow me to install on current disk) - dont want to format in risk of losing data.

I am going to order a new SSD and install on there, the installation/wizard doesnt crash so it looks hopeful..

Reactions: Quanticriver
Aug 3, 2021

I have tried to install Windows on a fresh SSD, but in the end of the installation the computer has to reboot to finish.

After rebooting I get the same issue, after motherboard logo the PC "crashes" and reboots again - in a loop.

I did however took this picture of the screen <Mod Edit> up once. I have only seen this happen once so far?
9rDQvzD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried to install Windows on a fresh SSD, but in the end of the installation the computer has to reboot to finish.

After rebooting I get the same issue, after motherboard logo the PC "crashes" and reboots again - in a loop.

I did however took this picture of the screen <Mod Edit> up once. I have only seen this happen once so far?
9rDQvzD.jpg
ok, this rules out your ssd being the culprit, i'd confirm our first hunch - the gpu is borked, since it boots fine without it

Since swapping a gpu for another to test is not an option i'd take it to the shop :(

Aug 3, 2021
ok, this rules out your ssd being the culprit, i'd confirm our first hunch - the gpu is borked, since it boots fine without it

Since swapping a gpu for another to test is not an option i'd take it to the shop :(

But we havent ruled out the PSU, correct?

Also, does the screenshot not look like faulty RAM?
EDIT: Checked the RAM, still same issue. Getting the view from the screenshot on every boot now...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS