Mar 3, 2020
Hello,

First post, always found answers here except for this problem, so figured I'd ask.

My PC has so far ran without issues. However, a few weeks back, it began rebooting at random. No BSOD, just a black screen and the fans spinning up again for a moment before starting again. I thought nothing of it, as it was rare, and maybe because of it not being grounded.

Lately, this spinning has gotten somewhat longer, and the reboots more frequent. But today it seemed like it died.
It rebooted, multiple times during spinning already (falling back and spinning up again).
While this was happening, sometimes rattles could be heard from I think the PSU for about a moment.
Next the power led was flickering/dimming and eventually turning off, as well as some of the internal component's lights (built-in rgb on motherboard and gpu mainly).
Finally, the motherboard normally makes a 'click' sound when starting and shutting down. But now it was clicking repeatedly.

Those two last things combined made me cut the power. I tried booting it once more, without the HDD connected (because of the rattling noise). Same result as above including rattling.

I guess the problem comes from the PSU or the motherboard. A couple of weeks back I did a ramtest, which was good, as well as a stress test of the power. No problems then.

Could it be the PSU, of motherboard? Or the fact that I didn't ground my PC? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Ryzen 3700X (cooled by BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro)
RTX 2070 MSI ARMOR
Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3000mhz (2x16, set at 2133mhz because in fear of reboots)
ASRock X470 taichi
BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W
M.2 Sata ssd salvaged from HP notebook
Brandless 2.5 ssd
Seagate 2TB HDD 7200rpm
Case is Fractal Design R6 Usb-C (using fan controller)
Old Samsung DVD-RW reader/writer

Notes:
System was made with rendering in mind, but halfway swapped some components with other devices, hence the RTX and a brandless SSD
HDDs/SSDs are in good condition
No overclocks (did try for sometime, but nothing extreme and no feasible profit, so runs stock)
Tried reseating all connectors before
Dust is minimal
If more info is needed, ask anything

Solution
You don't have to connect the 4-pin connection unless you are doing heavy overclocking. You should be able to just use the 8-pin connection (along with the 24-pin connection, of course).

Try the alternate PSU.
Mar 3, 2020
I can't get into the BIOS as it doesn't boot anymore, but I recall it being the one-to last version (3.60), instead of the latest (3.90).
However, it has ran with 3.60 for most of it's lifetime, so I'm not suspecting the BIOS.

Mar 3, 2020
I do have a 550W PSU in another system (CoolerMaster G550M), however it doesn't have enough pins for the CPU.
The Taichi requires 8+4, while the 550W has 8.
Unless you tell me it's safe to try, I don't want to blow up another PSU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't have to connect the 4-pin connection unless you are doing heavy overclocking. You should be able to just use the 8-pin connection (along with the 24-pin connection, of course).

Try the alternate PSU.

Solution
Mar 3, 2020
I think we found the culprit!
Before it would start rebooting after watching a video for 2 minutes, now it doesn't.
Ran some tests, no abnormalities or reboots. It works again! Thanks!

Before closing this thread, one more question:
Regarding that I probably won't buy a second graphics card, I'm not going to spend a lot for a high wattage, but moreso for quality.
What replacement PSU should I get?
Which wattage and brand/model are a good choice?
Or should I look into the "Power Supplies" category for this?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020
Well, it wasn't much about SLI, but moreso programs that could use multiple GPUs for rendering and such, not using SLI but directly accessing them with ex. CUDA. But then again, I don't need that amount of power in practical uses.
And indeed, one powerful GPU is better than two weaker ones.