Question PC Reboots during gaming

Mar 26, 2020
Computer reboots at random times in certain games. I do have 3 monitors, and I game on a 60 inch 4k Dell monitor. Sometimes it's during the launch of the game, other times it's hours into gaming. While monitoring temperatures, I noticed the CPU temp reaching into the 90's. I made some hardware changes, but the reboots remain.

Specs: 16 GB Ram, GTX 1060 3GB, 1TB HD, i7-8700.

What I've tried so far:
1- Replaced PSU to EVGA 850 G5, 850W.
2- Replaced CPU cooling and installed liquid cooling, now temps don't exceed 75 degrees in game.
3- Ran Memtest and no errors were found.
4-Upgraded GPU today to RTX 2080 Super, issue remains.

Most of the reboots tend to happen when there's a new set of graphics. For example: During game launch, restart, Alt tabbing to a Full screen game, etc. Hope some of these logs tell a story. Thanks for all the help!

Games that cause the PC to reboot consistently: Fifa 2020 (at random times, often hours into playing), Need For Speed Payback (consistently, often during startup/splashscreen).

What am I missing?

I found this, but the FPS fix doesn't seem to help: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vampyr/comments/8pajn3/as_soon_as_i_load_up_the_game_my_pc_resets_help/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Logs can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IYi3giQrbQ5sYZID1Tul3oYV6pH0_lbT

Mar 26, 2020
In my case it was VRM. Try this.
Thanks, that looks like a lot of trouble. If I'm understanding right, your MOBO couldn't supply your CPU with enough power so you had to replace it? Quick note: I couldn't get it to reboot yesterday and I gamed all day (not commom). I ran all kinds of games on the different monitors and they ran perfectly. The only change I made was move some HDMI cables around the different ports on the big screen. Wouldn't think that could make a difference. Anyways if it happens again I'll mess with the power tuning. Thanks!

that looks like a lot of trouble
It in fact was a lot of trouble 🤮
The monitor cable has one property to bring into the formula - it bridges the grounding between the two devices on its ends. If they are powered from different AC sources (extremely rare) and one of them is noisy enough or low quality - it may raise hell in the electronics' world. Again, very unlikely but possible.

Mar 26, 2020
It in fact was a lot of trouble 🤮
The monitor cable has one property to bring into the formula - it bridges the grounding between the two devices on its ends. If they are powered from different AC sources (extremely rare) and one of them is noisy enough or low quality - it may raise hell in the electronics' world. Again, very unlikely but possible.

Didn't reboot all day yesterday, under heavy gaming. It is back to rebooting today. Not a monitor issue at this point. I will set the IccMax to 150 and test. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2020
Heya,
I would start with a 100 and then go up. You will be able to see if it throttles right away.
Set it to 100, still reboots on game launch. Game is Need For Speed Payback. For whatever reason it reboots consistently during the launch of that game, or during the first few minutes of play.

Mar 26, 2020
Update: Went in the Bios, disabled Turbo Mode under AI Tweaker, and chose XMP under AI overclock tuner. No reboots so far (only been playing for a couple hours though). I did notice a difference with the fan noise. Before the PC reboots, the fans would accelerating and the noise was noticeable, a couple of seconds before the reboot. Asus AI Tweaker issue?

TRENDING THREADS