Question PC reboots on startup and severe instability when 'core performance boost’ is enabled in BIOS ?

Nov 14, 2022
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
CPU Cooler: MSI Mag core liquid 240r AIO
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti FE
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix b450-f
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR4 (2 sticks) 3200Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX550
Case: Corsair 220T airflow
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 512GB and WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB

Hello,

Back in August, I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 5600X from a Ryzen 5 2600X. I had no issues whatsoever until a few days ago when I noticed that my PC would reboot when I was editing a video. When this happens the screen turns black and my RGB and fans remain on and the PC reboots. I thought it could be an issue with the editing software because I was using a beta version of DaVinci Resolve so I updated it to the non-beta version and the issue persisted. The next day I noticed that the same thing would happen when games were loading up so I checked my CPU temperature and it was extremely high. It was around 90 - 95 celsius. It was normally around 40 - 70 celsius. So I figured that my AIO cooler was dying. I felt the tubes and one of them felt hotter than the other. I did not notice any irregular pump noise or anything like that. I replaced the AIO with the stock wraith stealth cooler and I thought the problem was solved until the same thing started happening but this time it would crash on windows start-up around half the time and other times it would crash after start-up. I checked the temps again and they were around 50 - 80 celsius which should not cause the CPU to shut down.

I did chkdsk and everything was fine. sfc /scannow found corrupted files and fixed them successfully. Windows memory diagnostic found no issues. Reliability history showed LiveKernelEvent 124 errors. I reinstalled my chipset drivers but had an issue so I reinstalled windows on my boot drive and was able to successfully reinstall the chipset drivers and Nvidia drivers but the issue still persisted. I then updated my bios to 4901 and the issue still remained. However, now sometimes I would get BSOD.

I thought that maybe the stock cooler was not enough to cool the CPU during startup because the new wraith stealth cooler looks smaller then the one that came with my old CPU. So I went back into the bios and set the fans to max and was able to have a stable boot but it still crashed eventually. I went back into the bios and disabled PBO and it still did not work. The only thing that seems to work is to disable core performance boost but now my cpu is maxed out at 3.7 GHz. When CPB is disabled my pc is stable even running prime95.

I reseated my cpu and reinstalled the stock cooler and the problem persists. I guess all the crashing messed up windows because after signing in it would not display anything in the taskbar and keyboard input was not working. So i had to reinstall windows again but this time from a usb stick. And once again the problem still remains.

So now I have CPB disabled and I have Asus AI suite overclocking it to 4.2GHz which seems stable.

I also saw that msi has issued a recall on their AIOs due to a blockage problem so I wonder if that is what happened to mine so I submitted a cooler swap request to them.

I am worried that my CPU might be damaged. I would not like to have to live with a huge nerf to my CPU by having to keep CPB disabled. Please help.

Nov 14, 2022
Thanks for the response,

My psu is less than 3 years old. I had my 3060ti since june of this year with my old 2600X and never had issues even with running benchmarks and editing videos. Is the 5600X more power hungry than the 2600X?