[SOLVED] Pc reboots randomly

Chmose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2019
Hello,

I have posted about this issue previously but it seems it has comeback since. So, for a couple weeks now PC has started rebooting randomly while two games (CS:GO and We were here together). Some days it doesn't reboot but most days it ends up rebooting. It can happen 2 minutes or 20 minutes into the game. Other games such as Escape from Tarkov, Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege have no issues. There is no bluescreen, minidumps, or specific events (in event viewer). The computer simply reboots and reports it didn't shutdown correctly. My temps are fine and so is my load.

Here's a list of things i have already done:

• Reinstalling both games.
  • Resetting Windows (deleting all files).
  • Stress test for 30 minutes +.
  • Disabling gamebar for windows 10.
  • Playing TF2 to see if it was a Source engine issue.
  • Validatin integrity of game files.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: MSI X470
Ram: 16 GB (not mixed)
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX200 and Seagate HDD ST200DM001
GPU: GTX 1070
PSU: HX850

Thank you all for your help.

Solution
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Solution

Chmose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2019
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

I do not have another power supply at my disposition right now. Would the AIDA64 PSU stress test be enough?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I have no experience with a software PSU test.
dedicated testing equipment or an oscilloscope will do. short of that a PSU swap is the cheapest quickest test

you can check the voltages with a multimeter.
Spec Variance in spec range
3.3V +/- 5% 3.14-3.47V is normal
5V +/- 5% 4.75-5.25V is normal
12V +/- 5% 11.4-12.6V is normal

MakotoSGT

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
In my experiences.
It is always the power supply.
On very rare occasions its the RAM.

As the R_1 stated.
Check PC with 1 stick of ram and stress it using a bench software.

Reboots?
Use another Stick.
Reboots?
Change the PSU.

The most fastest way is to borrow another PSU.
but the above method will do.

Chmose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2019
Little update, PSU is on the way to my house, so i will test with that. Also i have tried removing one stick of RAM but it still crash. However whenever i change the RAM i am prompted before boot to either F1 Enter setup or F2 Load Default Values. I have found that whenever i load default values it does not crash until i reboot my pc.

Does that mean the problem is not the PSU but the RAM?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Little update, PSU is on the way to my house, so i will test with that. Also i have tried removing one stick of RAM but it still crash. However whenever i change the RAM i am prompted before boot to either F1 Enter setup or F2 Load Default Values. I have found that whenever i load default values it does not crash until i reboot my pc.

Does that mean the problem is not the PSU but the RAM?
it may well be.
as I said most likely in that order of likelyhood. PSU issues are the far most common and the easiest test to perform.
RAM is less likely but I prefer to clear the RAM after I have a known good PSU. a thorough memtest 86 run may take a whole day and a good PSU is needed for that test.

Chmose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2019
it may well be.
as I said most likely in that order of likelyhood. PSU issues are the far most common and the easiest test to perform.
RAM is less likely but I prefer to clear the RAM after I have a known good PSU. a thorough memtest 86 run may take a whole day and a good PSU is needed for that test.
Okay thank you, will update once i get the new PSU.