PC reboots under stress. HELP

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
Hi all.
I have this huge problem and i hope some1 could help me out.

My build is:
GPU: MSI Geforge GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM: 16GB DDR4
CPU: Intel I5-6600k OC 4.1Ghz
Mobo: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO
PSU: Corsair GS700

My computer works fine. The GPU is brand new and had the same problem with the previous GPU, a GTX 970 OC

Sometimes the PC reboots. No BSOD, just all goes dark and it reboots, giving me the error message to start windows in safe mode or normally.

This happens when i play Overwatch, rarely during WOW (2 times tonight) and finaly in a controlled way. If i use the Kombuster test on MSI Afterburner APP, the best it can resist is 1 minute. GPU and CPU temps are fine...around 50°C each..they don't rly have time to get hot.

If i'm careful and always turn it off during the night, i can play Overwatch and WOW for days without problems, but tonight i got 2 reboot in a row during a wow raid and tried Kombustor 3 times. The first 2 went under 10 seconds before reboot...the 3rd try MAYBE reached the 1 minute mark.

Reading around i found the problem could be in the PSU (It is pretty old after all), but i'd like to hear what you guys think before buying it.

Thanks for the help.

Would you not suspect your problems are related to the CPU overclock? Try running the CPU at stock speed for a while to see if the problems go away.

Do you have the latest graphics driver for your MSI GTX 1080 installed? Look in Device Manager and make sure all your driver are up to date.

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
I'll try.
Little side note i forgot ot add.
Quite often when i turn my PC on...all the lights turn on, the fan start spinning BUT no signal goes to the monitor. I had to power down, and then, power it up again, so it starts.

What your describing sounds like a problem with the ram. What speed is your memory running at? Anything over 2400MHz is an overclock and might be unstable. Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS.

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
RAM is on 2200 Ghz and XMP was turned OFF in the BIOS. I had Game Boost ON, but XMP off.

Now i disabled game boost, XMP is still OFF and i'm running Kombustor (FurMark Stress test) for 20 minutes, CPU at 45°, GPU at 73° and no problem. Computer have been powered down all night tho.

CPU running at 3600Mhz without boost

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
SSD for the OS (windows 7), 2 HDD for storage (and ran some games from them). Just to add tot he strange situation....I played Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (from a storage HDD), at MAX settings both with the previous GPU (970) and the actual one (1080) and had 0 problems. Blizzard games and Kombuster reboot my PC

P.S.
Event Viewer give wthis error after each reboot.
Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

same for processor 1, 2, 3.

Don't know if it is a standard error message for suden reboot or not

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-random-restart-event-error-35-some/091b9859-ad06-4925-af3f-dff3eed90fab?auth=1

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
It lasted around 30 minutes before rebooting. Longer than before but..no luck (OC and XMS are on). Funny thing..when it rebooted i had no power to the keyboard and the mouse..had to turn pc off, change USB ports to make them start again....sigh

You had mentioned earlier;

"I played Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (from a storage HDD), and had 0 problems. Blizzard games and Kombuster reboot my PC"

I asked about your HDD's because i was wondering if they might be starting to fail. Are the games that give you problems on one particular HDD? Try installing a free program called "Hard Disk Sentinel" which scans your drives for bad sectors and gives you a health report for all your drives.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
I'll do this also. The games that failed (overwatch and WOW) are both on my SSD together with the OS. Wolfenstein was on a separate HDD. No reboot from Wolfenstein (that is a lot more demanding than the other 2, but more GPU heavy why wow is more CPU oriented)

All 3 are PERFECT (or so it says). The SSD has 92% health compared to the other 2 on 100%. Temps are 34°, 38°, 31°.

Thanks for the help you're giving...but the more we go on the more my hopes die

Don't worry about the SSD being 92% health. My Samsung 850 EVO is never 100% healthy, that's just normal. What exactly is the ram you are using and is it on your motherboards Memory Support List? When is the last time you did a clean install of Windows 7? As you say the problems could be caused by your PSU, but i don't consider it that old. I use an older PSU without any problems.

Soulgix

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
Well..it has 7-8 years at best. We'll see soon enough..i ordered a new PSU from amazon after a day of tests.

Ram is DDR4 CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (4X4GB) 2133MHZ CL15, and it gave me no problems for 2 years, plus i ran a Memtest86 this morning, came out clean without errors.

A clean windows 7 Installation is due. Installed Win 7 2 and half years ago and that is still the actual OS i'm using, but...while i should do it for a better performance, i don't see how that could be related to my PC rebooting while under stress without any BSOD