Pc reboots when gaming

hasta007

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi, I built my PC about a month ago and it worked with no problems at all when gaming (66h in Skyrim). Now when i game my pc reboots randomly in the game (up to a few hours of gaming).
At first i tried to unplug and plug in my PCIe connectors, when i turned my pc on it displayed a message "Please Power Down And Connect The PCIe Power Cable(s) For This Graphics Card". I switched out the PCIe cable for another one and it worked, the rebooting issue seemed to be gone, but then 2 days later the issue reappeared.

The reboot only happens during gaming (Dota 2, skyrim, minecraft, bioshock 1), the screen goes black for about five seconds and i hear a low buzz sometimes in my headset.

Now for my question, what tests should i run to find out what components i need to replace? (30 day warranty runs out soon)

Components
MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5, Socket-1150
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB PhysX
RAM: HyperX Savage DDR3 2400MHz 16GB (NOT RUNNING XMP)
PSU: Cooler Master G750M, 750W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

I'm sorry for any grammar errors I might have done, English is not my native language

hasta007

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

Sorry for asking but do you know a good way to see this while gaming?

InvalidError

Titan

The simplest way would be to have a secondary display and move the monitoring software on it.

If you do not have a secondary display, you could play windowed for a while, just long enough to have an idea of how hot things get.

G

If you have one screen: Play game windowed and download speccy from piriform.com . Look at Speccy while the game is running in a window. It will check specs and temps
If you have dual screen: Startup Speccy on the second monitor and check it troughout the game.

hasta007

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I checked my temps and they seem ok, but this time the pc didn't reboot, my screen couldnt detect any output from my hdmi or dvi, but i know the computer still ran because i could hear the game in the background and the led's inside were lit.

InvalidError

Titan

If your GPU mysteriously loses output when you start a game, that could be a GPU issue - but it could also be due to dirty power.

Check Windows' system event logs under administrative tools to see if drivers might have complained about something.

Don't do that - it has not even been an hour since your previous post and most people have other things to do than check THG forums for thread posts every few minutes or hours.

hasta007

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

I found something under critical called "kernel-power 41 (63)" at the time of the reboot, what does that mean?

InvalidError

Titan

Nothing on its own since that appears to be the generic error for unexpected shutdown. You need to look for other errors that may have happened just before that one or the extra context data that might be attached to it.

hasta007

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

I can't seem to find anything strange right before shutdown, am i looking in the wrong places?

it can be a psu issue or gpu issue or overtemp or defective ram
first = remove the gpu card from his pcie socket and boot with the igp (the gpu integrated in the cpu)
remove the gpu driver and all the files assiociated cleanly (gpu card driver)
check in the bios if all voltages and temps look normal...
reinstall the gpu card and install the latest driver from nvidia web site
restart the pc and set the bios for booting with the gpu card ( peg) and to a gaming check
if you still having an issue..try with only one ram stick
if you still again having and issue , try with an other psu from a friend or ???
let me know

you can begin to try with an other psu first...that will save you times if it is the problem

hasta007

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

I think I'm gonna start by returning my psu and get a higher quality one because my warranty is still going. If this doesn't work I'm gonna do everything you said :)