Question PC reboots when GPU temp hits 60+, even after cleaning & applying fresh thermal paste ?

May 8, 2023
Specs & Synopsis :

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - MSI 1080ti GamingX
BOARD- MSI x370 Gaming Plus
PSU - Corsair TX850
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo
RAM - 8x2 Gb 3200 Mhz Trident
Cabinet - Cooler Master HAF 950
HDDs - 5
NVME - 1
Fans: 3

----------xx----------

Recently installed 1080ti after thoroughly cleaning it.

Even at slightest of loads at 60°C GPU temps, the PC reboots.

GPU Fans make scratching sound noise too.

Initially a brief black screen appears, followed by the reboot, while PC itself is constantly running.

Decided to open up the GPU for inspection & cleaning.

Applied fresh thermal paste on GPU unit as well as cpu cooler base just in case. (CPU is running fine).

While cleaning the GPU, I saw one thermal pad was missing over the components next to capacitor line, and the one over capacitors was also in a degraded state.

The pads on VRAM units were also not in a good state.

Game Test:
While playing Assasin Creed Origins at Highest settings, GPU temperature spiked to 80° right at start menu before it crashed to rebooting stage even before i could play.

I am assuming this rebooting might be due to following :

A) Absence/poor thermal padding, so i have ordered new sets (20x60x0.5,1,1.5 mm).

B) Power Supply issue. (But 2070 was running fine on it with previous configuration)

C) One of my friend suggested that one IC on left most region is getting too hot as compared to other area where main memories & processor is located. He suspects it could be some hardware defect near the area.

This card was tested with Unigine Benchmark at 2K high resolution before buying, and was totally Okay.

Played Marvel Spider Man for like 30 mins with stable performance. (Scratching fans noise was present at time of testing though).

I am currently testing it on 1366x720 Display as new Display is still in transit. Does it make any compatibility difference ?

------xx-------

So, do i need to take it to service center straight away or just replace thermal pads or is it PSU related issue ?

Need some expert opinions here from you guys 🙏.

Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS