[SOLVED] PC reboots when I play a game ?

Nov 14, 2020
This whole thing started when I did a full format, about a day earlier I was cleaning my pc and everything was running fine until I decided to reformat because of errors in downloading and installing windows update + I couldn't get into Rainbow Six Siege anymore without a vpn.

So after the reformat, I installed all the necessary drivers but to my horror when I was in the menu of Stellaris after 2-5mins it suddenly froze and my pc reboots without a warning. I also tried directly loading a save file and I noticed the fps was very low. I looked it up and thought my psu was the problem since I noticed a blinking white led light on my gpu. I bought a new psu and the blinking disappeared but the shutdown problem still persists, I can only get into the menu of the games I play before it reboots like before. I tried to rush into a game of Stellaris to check my fps and it was back to normal, but it still freezes and reboots after a couple of minutes. Played R6 and it dies in the menu, same with Apex Legends.

Tried reformatting again but still the same problem. I ran cinebench to stress test my cpu but it finished without a hitch, then I ran unigine heaven for gpu and there it is again, it reboots after freezing for a couple of seconds. I ran 3d Graphics Mark and it showed me an error when I ran the 3d test. Checked dxdiag but its showing no problems. My event viewer during the time it reboots. It runs fine outside of games.

My gpu was showing 60c when I ran heaven before my pc rebooted, it idles at 45-50c. And my cpu has a load temp of 80c through hwinfo. I also rolled back my gpu drivers to the last time it was working fine which is 456.71. Also ran a memory test in case it was my ram but its showing no problems. My pc is 5years old but I’m too broke to upgrade.

Specs:
CPU: AMD A8-7600
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2 (rev 1.1)
Bios version: American Megatrends Inc. FC, 24/12/2015
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 950-OC-2GD5
RAM: 1x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz
PSU: Silverstone Strider Essential Series ST50F-ES230 500w

Last edited:
Solution
The temps seem fine, your Even Viewer seems OK. I don't suppose you happen to have another GPU to test out. One more thing I can think of off the top of my head and that's ideally reformatting again and then installing Linux. I'd recommend Manjaro because Arch seems good at running games, but you can try Ubuntu, Mint. I'm trying to establish if you can game on Linux without problems. This would rule out a software issue, i.e. Windows. You could also try dual-booting and install Linux beside Windows, but I think formatting would be the cleanest way. Then install Steam or whatever game launcher you play Rainbow Six: Siege.
Nov 14, 2020
You have two more BIOS version to update, update to FD and then to FE and see if the issue is resolved. Make and model of the PSU and it's age?
Must've accidentally cut out the PSU part, its the Silverstone Strider Essential Series ST50F-ES230 500w, recently bought it. Will try and update and see if it works.

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
The temps seem fine, your Even Viewer seems OK. I don't suppose you happen to have another GPU to test out. One more thing I can think of off the top of my head and that's ideally reformatting again and then installing Linux. I'd recommend Manjaro because Arch seems good at running games, but you can try Ubuntu, Mint. I'm trying to establish if you can game on Linux without problems. This would rule out a software issue, i.e. Windows. You could also try dual-booting and install Linux beside Windows, but I think formatting would be the cleanest way. Then install Steam or whatever game launcher you play Rainbow Six: Siege.

Solution