PC reboots when I touch the case and discharge static

princekr

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hi,

I bought the parts for a computer for my son; he built it. Everything works fine except for one issue. If you touch the case and discharge static electricity the system reboots (and loses the Bios settings as well).

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this problem? The case is a Thermaltake Xaser III (Aluminum).

Thanks
Ken

M2

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
8O Sounds like your outlet and/or case is not grounded. Do you have a three prong outlet? If so, have a qualified electrician come and test it. There should be less than .25 Ohms from common to ground, and you should see 120 VAC from Hot to common and Hot to ground. It could be the power cable, but that is doubtful. If this tests out OK, make sure there aren't any "extra" standoffs (the littke brass nuts you screw into the case to attach the motherboard) touching the motherboard where it shouldn't. I did this once and it wouldn't boot! :oops:

theslug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have the same issue. Touching the front of the case causes it to reboot if I have some static electricity built up after walking across the floor. It's happened with my computer in two different locations, so I don't think it's the wiring at fault. (At one of those locations, I have other computers plugged in there without issues).

On another forum, someone suggested I try testing the PSU to see if it has a problem. I guess I can also look for any exposed screws or wiring touching something it shouldn't be.

princekr

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
8O Sounds like your outlet and/or case is not grounded. Do you have a three prong outlet? If so, have a qualified electrician come and test it. There should be less than .25 Ohms from common to ground, and you should see 120 VAC from Hot to common and Hot to ground. It could be the power cable, but that is doubtful. If this tests out OK, make sure there aren't any "extra" standoffs (the littke brass nuts you screw into the case to attach the motherboard) touching the motherboard where it shouldn't. I did this once and it wouldn't boot! :oops:

Thanks for the suggestions.
This weekend I'll try these ideas out.

I have an Antec PS; so I posted this question to their support group and received the most helpful suggestion: Use an Antec case (LOL)!!

theslug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
princekr, what Antec PS model did you have? I already sent in an RMA request to get my True 480 replaced. I tried an ATX tester on it and the results were negative, so that's probably what my problem was.

princekr

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I have the TP 480.

I am going to get myself one of the ATX testers - looks like a good addition to the tool box.

Thanks for the follow up

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I would definately look into your power outlets unless that has already been ruled out.

Also, take the board out of the case and set it on a phone book or something and see if you still have static problems.

Until you figure out the problem, be very careful. As I am sure you know, if you touch the wrong things you can fry components in the case.

theslug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well everyone, I thought my problem was solved. With the advice of some other people, thinking the PSU was at fault, I had purchased the Fortron 450W. It's been working great for weeks now when suddenly I touch the case, no differently than before, and the computer restarts again. What else could be the problem? I'm considering taking every single component out of the case and putting them back in..maybe something is touching something it shouldn't be.

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
This still sounds like a case grounding problem to me. Try hardwiring an 8 or 12 gauge wire to a screw on the case and tie it to a known ground such as a plumbing fixture. If your PS is good it is most likely something touching the case that shouldn't. Happened to me too. The long shot is a bad MB but those kind of failures seem rare.

michaeldp1982

Reputable
Jul 8, 2018
i'm having the same issue with my case. wish i knew what the problem is. i don't think it's just a static thing tho, i alwys touch metal before i touch the case