Question PC Reboots when playing certain games

May 24, 2019
Hey everyone. Brand new at this, but I'm kind of desperate for solutions. I bought my PC (custom built) back in 2015, and since then I've played tons of games with zero issues. However, during the past year or so I've been running into the problem where I play a game (that I used to play for countless hourse before) and the PC just reboots out of nowhere. With some games, I can play just fine. Others, it won't let me get past the main menu. As far as I can tell, there are no temperature problems. I've had it physically cleaned, I've kept all my drivers up to date, etc. It's really frustrating because I just don't know what's causing the problem and why all of a sudden.

Here are my specs:
  • Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming Ver. 04.06.05
  • CPU: AMD FX 8350 8 Core @ 4.0 Ghz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB
  • PSU: Radix VII AG 800W 80 Silver Plus
Hopefully someone out there can help me out. If you need any additional info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

May 24, 2019
I'm looking at the PSU as your culprit. How old is your PSU. You might want to pick up a reliably built PSU from your neighbor or friend and see if that resolves the system rebooting, when taxed, issue.
Thanks for replying so quickly.

Well I've kept the same one I originally bought back in 2015. So it'd be 4 years old. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone nearby that has a PC, so I won't be able to test that.

Is it the wattage that you see as an issue? Or the brand/quality of the PSU?

May 24, 2019
Did you check the device is working properly? In your event log you will see the error

At this point it would be probably under APPCRASH and check the exe file thats crashing

This will give you a really good indication of where to go to troubleshoot/resolve next
So I found the Event Log Viewer, opened up a game and again, it crashed. So what do I have to check for in the Event Log. I made sure to check the time of the crash but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the Event Log. I see some errors here and there but I don't know how to interpret them.

It crashed at 11:07 AM, so I selected all the events around that time and saved them. I thought maybe I could attach the file to this post but I don't see an option for that. What's the best way to share the log?

Thanks in advance.