[SOLVED] PC reboots when starting games with heavy graphics

etesravan

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Hi,

Recently my PC has been having random reboots during gaming and now it's rebooting when starting up games with heavy graphics. More information below:

Components:
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER DUAL EVO OC V2
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4
HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Corsair TX850M, 850W PSU
Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

When running the Superposition benchmark for my GPU it never crashed, tested up to 1080p extreme settings.
CPU test: https://cpux.net/cpu-benchmark-online/h3r5t around 60 degrees Celsius at average during this.

When I start up a game, for example Final Fantasy XIV or The Witcher 3, I can get through the main menu and press play/continue/etc. and when it is supposed to show heavier graphics it crashes before I see anything. For The Witcher 3 it loads all they way up to the part where you would get into the game.

Solution
Definitely sounds like your PSU is dying or the wall outlet sucks. Try another wall outlet or borrow a spare reliable PSU of the same quality and test your system on it. Or you can get a new PSU.
Mar 23, 2020
I don't know, but maybe it's because of the PSU, even though you have high wattage. did you check if the CPU power cable is connected right if it has one, or if you have 8 pins, not 6 pins in your GPU?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
It could be a PSU issue, but to me it sounds more like a gpu or driver issue. Since you've tested the gpu, I'll lean towards the drivers. When was the last time you updated either them or the games? You might just need a fresh install of up to date graphics drivers. Since it is crashing at the "intro" it sounds like it is crashing after all the pre rendered frames are done and it has to start using your gpu more to render the rest. If you lower your graphics settings in the games(if that's even an option but it sounds like not) does the problem go away?
before the game crashes do your gpu fans spin up high.

Mar 23, 2020
Check the Event Viewer to see if there's anything of interest happening or going wrong at the time of the reboot.

There's a Windows 10 update that came out last week that caused one of the machines in my office to reboot (no blue screen, just restart as if I'd hit the Reset button), so you might want to give that a try if you're out of other ideas.

etesravan

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
I have ordered a new PSU now so I'll have to wait and see. Now the PC wont even turn on properly at all and when I do get in it reboots before I can do anything.

etesravan

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Definitely sounds like your PSU is dying or the wall outlet sucks. Try another wall outlet or borrow a spare reliable PSU of the same quality and test your system on it. Or you can get a new PSU.

I changed the wall outlet for my PC today and so far it has worked without problems. I'm gonna punch myself if this has been the issue all along.

I have a new PSU on the way, but if there are no problems before it arrives I'll just return it. Thank you so much for bringing this up. It never even crossed my mind to try this. Hope it's a permanent fix.

EDIT; I spoke too soon. Did not fix it, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with the PSU now, so hopefully the new one will get the job done!

Last edited:
I changed the wall outlet for my PC today and so far it has worked without problems. I'm gonna punch myself if this has been the issue all along.

I have a new PSU on the way, but if there are no problems before it arrives I'll just return it. Thank you so much for bringing this up. It never even crossed my mind to try this. Hope it's a permanent fix.

EDIT; I spoke too soon. Did not fix it, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with the PSU now, so hopefully the new one will get the job done!
What PSU have you ordered?