[SOLVED] PC reboots when under load (Games).

Jun 21, 2020
Hello!

I have a PC that I have build. It works fine for daily tasks like Email, watching videos, music, software development, and normal browsing. But when I play games the PC gives me a Power Panic 41 error in the event viewer and restarts. It happens between 5 minutes to 2 hours into the play session. Sometimes I can go a day without it happening at all.

I watched the heat and power with HWMonitor nothing seems to pop out at me.

I suspect that the issues are either the wall-socket or the PSU.

Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot what's wrong? I don't have access to anything to do exclusion testing. I'm thinking of getting a multimeter to test the power supply. Is that a good idea?

Thanks!!

specs:

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
R7 3800x
Rx 5700xt
2 * 16 3600 G.SKILL Trident Z Neo
CORSAIR Vengeance 750M
Gigabyte AORUS Nvme M.2 500GB PCI-Express 4.0
NZXT H500i

Solution
So! I have figured out the issue. I have a pre-overclocked version of the 5700xt and what I did was put an aggressive curve on the fans which made the rebooting noticeably less frequent. I sent my graphics card back to Gigabyte on warranty and they found issues with the card's components. they're going to send back the card soon and I hope that will do it.

Thank you for all your help! Especially you Vic 40!! I owe you a beer!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Conected directly to the wallsocket or are you using an extension cord?

Multimeter might be helpfull,
▶ Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube
might be good to check while under load as well, mainly the +12V which could be done using a molex connector->1black+yellow wire.

Try to power the gpu with two pcie cables, not with one cable=2 connectors. Use the first connector of each cable. Try this first before spending money on a multimeter (or maybe you know someone who has one which you could borrow).

Last edited:
Reactions: DjangoLowe
Jun 21, 2020

might be good to check while under load as well, mainly the +12V which could be done using a molex connector->1black+yellow wire.

Try to power the gpu with two pcie cables, not with one cable=2 connectors. Use the first connector of each cable. Try this first before spending money on a multimeter (or maybe you know someone who has one which you could borrow).

I was both connected directly and using a powerstrip. I already picked up the multimeter. it was only $15 US.

I connected an analog multimeter to the 12v and it stayed steady when it rebooted. I'm going to try to get that second PCIE modular power cable out from storage and give that a try and get back to you.

Thanks for your help!!

Jun 21, 2020

Ok, I have tried the GPU with two PCI-E cables, and it didn't make a difference. Now I'm thinking it's a graphics card or MOBO.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The Corsair Vengeance is the bronze or silver rated version?

Maybe a log might help,

How to make a log,

download hwinfo32,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

Jun 21, 2020
How to make a log,

you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.

This was an awesome tip!... Gone are the days of the stupid videoing the screen/multimeter while I play.

Here are 3 of them. The last one I have set it to update every 1 second to get a tighter look at things.

Let me know if there is anything I have missed. I'm going to look through it as well.

Thanks again

Jun 21, 2020
The Corsair Vengeance is the bronze or silver rated version?

Maybe a log might help,

How to make a log,

I couldn't find anything. everything looks fine to me.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
So each time at the end of the log the machine restarted as is your problem, can't see anything in those logs that warrants it. Was hoping to see a more obvious voltage drop or high temp, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Can only guess that either a voltage just suddenly drops or a safety measure kicks in on the psu or the motherboard has issues. Maybe the vrm has problems with the Ryzen 3800x, but doubt it looking at this vid,
Sub-$200 MSI X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard Analysis - YouTube

Or the psu has problems with power spikes from the gpu.

Only thing i can say is test with another gpu and/or psu and see if that helps.

Jun 21, 2020
So each time at the end of the log the machine restarted as is your problem, can't see anything in those logs that warrants it. Was hoping to see a more obvious voltage drop or high temp, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Can only guess that either a voltage just suddenly drops or a safety measure kicks in on the psu or the motherboard has issues. Maybe the vrm has problems with the Ryzen 3800x, but doubt it looking at this vid,
Sub-$200 MSI X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard Analysis - YouTube

Or the psu has problems with power spikes from the gpu.

Only thing i can say is test with another gpu and/or psu and see if that helps.

So what did I do?!?! I replaced the motherboard because I didn't think it was the PSU and I thought it was the MoBo or the GPU and the MoBo was cheaper. (for full discloser, I got an ASUS Prime X570-Pro). I don't have access to a PSU or GPU for testing. Should I get a GPU or PSU? I can't afford to get a gaming level GPU but I might be able to get a decent PSU.

Thanks again for your help BTW

So what did I do?!?! I replaced the motherboard because I didn't think it was the PSU and I thought it was the MoBo or the GPU and the MoBo was cheaper. (for full discloser, I got an ASUS Prime X570-Pro). I don't have access to a PSU or GPU for testing. Should I get a GPU or PSU? I can't afford to get a gaming level GPU but I might be able to get a decent PSU.

Thanks again for your help BTW

Hi whats your graphics card ? actual model number

also if i was a betting man i would say its corsair power supply

i have bought a few of there products mainly power supplys and each of them developed a fault
and not the cheap ones either

Reactions: DjangoLowe
Jun 21, 2020
Hi whats your graphics card ? actual model number

also if i was a betting man i would say its corsair power supply

i have bought a few of there products mainly power supplys and each of them developed a fault
and not the cheap ones either

That was my first thought, but I use an analog multimeter and it seemed to be smooth even as it crashed.

The graphics card is GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD.

Jun 21, 2020
I would go into BIOS and restore to defaults and then give her a shot. I think your OC is not stable due to voltage. If CPU gets really hot usually the PC will just freeze it won't reboot and what not.

I haven't tried OCing yet. I was waiting to get some liquid for it. The GPU comes pre-OC-ed. but I don't think that counts.

Jun 21, 2020
Motherboard didn't change anything? Did you do a clean install after the swap? Is sometimes better.
no change at all. everything else seems to work better. Not to mention the cool RGB :). But I might need to wait on a clean install. I think that might mess up my activation and I would need to pay for another copy of window,