[SOLVED] PC reboots when under load (Games).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 21, 2020
Hello!

I have a PC that I have build. It works fine for daily tasks like Email, watching videos, music, software development, and normal browsing. But when I play games the PC gives me a Power Panic 41 error in the event viewer and restarts. It happens between 5 minutes to 2 hours into the play session. Sometimes I can go a day without it happening at all.

I watched the heat and power with HWMonitor nothing seems to pop out at me.

I suspect that the issues are either the wall-socket or the PSU.

Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot what's wrong? I don't have access to anything to do exclusion testing. I'm thinking of getting a multimeter to test the power supply. Is that a good idea?

Thanks!!

specs:

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
R7 3800x
Rx 5700xt
2 * 16 3600 G.SKILL Trident Z Neo
CORSAIR Vengeance 750M
Gigabyte AORUS Nvme M.2 500GB PCI-Express 4.0
NZXT H500i

Solution
So! I have figured out the issue. I have a pre-overclocked version of the 5700xt and what I did was put an aggressive curve on the fans which made the rebooting noticeably less frequent. I sent my graphics card back to Gigabyte on warranty and they found issues with the card's components. they're going to send back the card soon and I hope that will do it.

Thank you for all your help! Especially you Vic 40!! I owe you a beer!
Jun 21, 2020
Anyway you can test with components? maybe a friend whose gpu you can test with ...
Sadly no, I have moved to a new city where I don't know anyone like that. I was thinking about picking up a cheap GPU and seeing if I can recreate the issue. I'm just worried that I will get something that can't produce the wattage to reproduce the issue.

Jun 21, 2020
Try and run furmark+aida64 (cpu stresstest) at the same time, see if that changes anything.
I ran them together and then did aida64's stress test for the cpu test no problem. How long should I run it?

I am now getting a new error when it restarts.

WHEA-Logger - 18
Code:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 6

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Does this help at all? Thanks again!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
So when stressing the cpu you get a bluescreen? Can try this,
Help Troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death by Preventing Automatic Reboot

If you only get this when stressing the cpu is it stil hard to say. Above suggest a cpu fault, but that get's relayed by motherboard and ram so difficult. Might want to start to look and RMA.
Maybe at AMD support someone might be able to say if this could be cpu itself. Maybe just see what and if it gives something for that bsod. Need probably to stress the cpu again for that.

Reactions: DjangoLowe
Jun 21, 2020
So when stressing the cpu you get a bluescreen? Can try this,
Help Troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death by Preventing Automatic Reboot

If you only get this when stressing the cpu is it stil hard to say. Above suggest a cpu fault, but that get's relayed by motherboard and ram so difficult. Might want to start to look and RMA.
Maybe at AMD support someone might be able to say if this could be cpu itself. Maybe just see what and if it gives something for that bsod. Need probably to stress the cpu again for that.

I never saw a blue screen, but if it's the graphics card, then it would probably reset before you can see the blue screen. I should have known this.

I recently to the PC to a repair shop and there were able to recreate the issue. They're currently trying to sell me a liquid CPU cooler even though the CPU and GPU don't go much about 70. I think I'm going to go down and just pick up my PC.

Jun 21, 2020
So! I have figured out the issue. I have a pre-overclocked version of the 5700xt and what I did was put an aggressive curve on the fans which made the rebooting noticeably less frequent. I sent my graphics card back to Gigabyte on warranty and they found issues with the card's components. they're going to send back the card soon and I hope that will do it.

Thank you for all your help! Especially you Vic 40!! I owe you a beer!

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution