[SOLVED] PC reboots while gaming (cpu, psu, ram?) ?

davidoc

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Hello everyone.
I have seen similar posts about this however, the solutions on those posts have not worked for me...

So, the main problem is: Random reboots while playing Warzone (it also occurs with Destiny 2, however with Warzone is more often). Just to be clear, it is not a BSOD.
I have some led strips and they do not turn off so I do not think my PC turns completely off and turns on again....
When it occurs, I simply lose the video signal (black screen on the monitor) and after 3-7 seconds, Windows starts normally.

If I am doing something lighter (watching YouTube, a movie, and so forth) everything is ok.

Researching, I came across some comments (related to random reboots while gaming) that maybe the PSU might be the problem.
In fact, my PC was not plugged directly into the wall but into a power strip like this one https://www.amazon.com/GE-Outlet-Pr...p&qid=1621921354&sprefix=Extension+pow&sr=8-3
With that in mind, I bought a power cord long enough to plug the PC directly into the wall (the other one was too short so that is the reason why I used the power strip).
Sadly, the random reboots are still happening.

Also, about the PSU, I do not know if the wattage is enough to power my PC.
When I was planning to build my PC I used PC part picker and you know that the website calculates the estimated wattage needed so I bought a PSU with a little "extra" just to be sure.

Another thing to mention is that right now, I have a 11600k however, previously I had a 10600k and those reboots never happened with the 10600k.
When I changed my CPU I freshly installed Windows still, the reboots keep happening.

Lastly, my RAM I have 2 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 (2x16) 4000MHz F4-4000C16D-32GVK.
They work fine, however, they are not listed in the MSI QVL so I do not know if the problem is the memory or not.

Here are my specs:
  • Phanteks P500A case
  • MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
  • Noctua NH-D15 (with 2 fans)
  • Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 IP67 PWM fans (x6)
  • Intel i5-11600k
  • RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming UPRISING
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 (2x16) 4000MHz F4-4000C16D-32GVK (not listed in QVL)
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W PSU (wattage not enough?)
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 plus (OS is installed here)
  • Western Digital SN750 (All my games are here: Battlenet, steam, epic)
  • FireCuda 2.5" SSHD 1TB (my stuff)
  • WD Blue 2.5" HDD 1TB
  • 4 led strips
  • Gigabyte M27Q monitor
And I think it is all...
So, after all of this, could someone please give me any advice about these random reboots? What should I do next?
Thanks!

Solution
Hello everyone.
I have seen similar posts about this however, the solutions on those posts have not worked for me...

So, the main problem is: Random reboots while playing Warzone (it also occurs with Destiny 2, however with Warzone is more often). Just to be clear, it is not a BSOD.
I have some led strips and they do not turn off so I do not think my PC turns completely off and turns on again....
When it occurs, I simply lose the video signal (black screen on the monitor) and after 3-7 seconds, Windows starts normally.

If I am doing something lighter (watching YouTube, a movie, and so forth) everything is ok.

Researching, I came across some comments (related to random reboots while gaming) that maybe the PSU might be the problem...
Hello everyone.

Researching, I came across some comments (related to random reboots while gaming) that maybe the PSU might be the problem.
In fact, my PC was not plugged directly into the wall but into a power strip like this one https://www.amazon.com/GE-Outlet-Pr...p&qid=1621921354&sprefix=Extension+pow&sr=8-3
With that in mind, I bought a power cord long enough to plug the PC directly into the wall (the other one was too short so that is the reason why I used the power strip).
Sadly, the random reboots are still happening.

Also, about the PSU, I do not know if the wattage is enough to power my PC.
When I was planning to build my PC I used PC part picker and you know that the website calculates the estimated wattage needed so I bought a PSU with a little "extra" just to be sure.

Another thing to mention is that right now, I have a 11600k however, previously I had a 10600k and those reboots never happened with the 10600k.
When I changed my CPU I freshly installed Windows still, the reboots keep happening.

Lastly, my RAM I have 2 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 (2x16) 4000MHz F4-4000C16D-32GVK.
They work fine, however, they are not listed in the MSI QVL so I do not know if the problem is the memory or not.

Here are my specs:
  • Phanteks P500A case
  • MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
  • Noctua NH-D15 (with 2 fans)
  • Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 IP67 PWM fans (x6)
  • Intel i5-11600k
  • RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming UPRISING
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 (2x16) 4000MHz F4-4000C16D-32GVK (not listed in QVL)
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W PSU (wattage not enough?)
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 plus (OS is installed here)
  • Western Digital SN750 (All my games are here: Battlenet, steam, epic)
  • FireCuda 2.5" SSHD 1TB (my stuff)
  • WD Blue 2.5" HDD 1TB
  • 4 led strips
  • Gigabyte M27Q monitor
And I think it is all...
So, after all of this, could someone please give me any advice about these random reboots? What should I do next?
Thanks!
One thing you can try. Use MSI afterburner to reduce the power limit to the graphics card by 15%. See if the reboots still occur.

Solution