Question PC reboots while gaming, now in normal use. Problem PSU?

Feb 17, 2021
For a couple days my new computer just shut down and restarted when gaming (Valheim and Battlefront II). This happened irregularily - sometimes I could play for hours, sometimes it crashed after 5 mins. When I checked, there was a layer of dust on the bottom underneath the PSU. Easy fix I thought. Cleaned the whole system up and planned on doing so weekly. However, since then it just got worse and now the computer is shutting down in regular use as well. I checked on all drivers, performed stress tests on CPU and GPU and everything seems fine. Idk if this is normal, but when the system shuts down, the automatic reboot never takes place, bc the M2 cannot be read. After another, forced, shutdown everything runs normal again until the next crash.

Mainboard: ASUS Prime B450 Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: GeForce RTX 3060Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16)
M.2:Crucial P2 CT500P2SSD8
SSD: SANDISK Ultra 3D 1 TB
PSU: Rhombutech MP-700P

I did check online and saw a ton of similar threads, and came to the conclusion that the problem might still be the PSU. When I built the PC I did cheap out on it a little, and my dumb ass didn't do enough research to find out that the PSU should never be cheap stuff. So, I will order a new one (be Quiet! Straight Power 11 ATX 550W BN281).

For me it just doesn't fully make sense bc whenever I think I found a solution that had good results in perfomance (like finding the layer of dust, turning down game settings, seeing that the AMD driver had to be updated), it just seemed like it made things worse gradually, with quicker shutdowns in situations I don't even use the PC for anything but browsing. The PSU will take some time to arrive and I feel like all the shutting down can really harm the other parts. But I also have to use the PC nearly daily to work in home office, so if anyone has any help on what I could do to keep the system running until the PSU arrives, I'd be grateful.

Also, after doing several checks online where you enter your rig and it tells you what PSU you need, I was suprised that I could apparantly go with only 550W instead of the 700W that I thought should definitely be enough when I built the PC. Now that my original PSU might have failed... what wattage should I go with? Is 550W enough when it's a decent one?

By all means get a quality power supply from reputable brands (my favourite is Corsair RM650x). Yeah, even 550W would be enough provided you don't heavily OC anything, but it still needs to be a quality PSU. Wattage itself does not tell anything about PSU internals - you can buy cheap PSUs which claim to have 1000W and in reality they cannot hold a candle to a quality 450W PSU.

This is always a must, and even more so if you have powerful and/or expensive components.

Feb 17, 2021
Rhombutech is garbage but it also can be the memory modules. LPX is not very good compatible with Ryzen exept the modules with Z in the model like Z3200C16. What's the exact model and version number of your RAM?

CMK32GX4M2D3000C16
32GB, DDR4, 3000MHz

I installed the new PSU and everything seemed fine, but it crashed again two times now. Blue screen just like before.