Pc reboots while gaming.

Hokkiefrank

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2016
A friend of mine recently got random reboots when playing games. He still had the stockcooler on his i7-3770k which got around 80 degrees before a reboot. So he replaced it with an h55. Now he gets temps around the 50/60degrees while gaming(which is still high in my opinion) but the reboots still occur. What might be the problem???

Specs are:
I7-3770k (not oced)
Corsair h55
Msi gtx970
Asus sabertooth z77
Coolermaster gx750w
1 tb seagate hdd
Windows 10

Everything is about 2 years old except for the h55 and the 970

Solution

Can't be sure, but the main capacitors in the CPU are not built for high-performance gaming use and can fail quickly in such circumstances.

If you can borrow a PSU from a friend see if that helps.

I'd be replacing the PSU anyway, and you don't need more than 550W, but I'd get an EVGA 110-B2-0750-VR 750W semi-modular PSU, if available for less than $50 in the USA. It's the best PSU usually available in the sub-$50 range. If you are elsewhere our advice might be different.

When you've checked the PSU out; let us know if it fixes the problem.

get rid as soon as possible of this psu...
``There are Taicon and Su’scon capacitors at the output. Unfortunately, these components do not have a blameless reputation and are reported to fail sooner than expected.``

get a real one like seasonic/xfx/antec hcg-truepower-edge / evga b2-g2-gs

Can't be sure, but the main capacitors in the CPU are not built for high-performance gaming use and can fail quickly in such circumstances.

If you can borrow a PSU from a friend see if that helps.

I'd be replacing the PSU anyway, and you don't need more than 550W, but I'd get an EVGA 110-B2-0750-VR 750W semi-modular PSU, if available for less than $50 in the USA. It's the best PSU usually available in the sub-$50 range. If you are elsewhere our advice might be different.

When you've checked the PSU out; let us know if it fixes the problem.

Solution