Question PC reboots while gaming

augustineudo

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
So this First happened when I first played Mordhau. I loaded up a game mode with 64 players and after around 15 minutes of game-time, My Computer automatically rebooted itself. Now this happens every time I go into a 64 player game-mode on mordhau.

I replaced my Cpu fan as i thought it was because of my cpu temps. However now they don't rise above 55 degrees. My GPU doesn't rise above 70 either. So I don't think overheating is the problem. Some people suggested that I have a memory leak which might be the case but i'm not certain. Another Problem suggested was that my powersupply is faulty. I do not know how too test this theory besides buying a new one but I don't wish to buy a new PSU only to find it wasn't the problem.

This problem has progressively gotten worse and now I cannot play any resource heavy game like Destiny 2 battlefield.

I ran Memtest to see if there was a memory issue or if it was cpu related but i did not get any errors.

I have had suggestions that it might be the GPU or power supply and I do not know which one is more likely.

-Thanks!

PC BUILD:
-i5-4690k (not overclocked)
-8GB of Ram
-GTX 970 Gigabyte
-MSI Z97 gaming 43 motherboard
-Corsair 80 Bronze 750W Power supply

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I do not know how too test this theory besides buying a new one but I don't wish to buy a new PSU only to find it wasn't the problem.
Unfortunately it is the only true effective way of identifying if it is indeed the PSU at fault. You CAN monitor voltages on your rails through something like HWInfo whilst under load, but those voltages are not necessarily that accurate, but can highlight something if there is something OBVIOUSLY wrong, and even then, it's not a guaranteed under any circumstance.

I have had suggestions that it might be the GPU or power supply and I do not know which one is more likely.
Same as above, only effective way of testing is by replacing and retesting. USUALLY this kind of issue is PSU, but it can easily be GPU too. How long have you had the PSU? If it's going on some years then I'd potentially sooner be looking at the PSU. Also what exact model PSU is it?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So that I believe is one of the green label PSUs which is their older platform, which aren't that good. The newer grey CX platform is better.
In addition if it is the green label CX it will only have a 3 year warranty, so it's gone past it's guarantee now which could be a thought for what might be the problem top.

Overall it may be worth seeing if a friend has another GPU or a good quality sufficient PSU to test.
I'd initially lean towards PSU, but the only way to know definitely is by swapping and retesting. Just make sure whatever the replacement is, it's good quality, not just enough wattage.

augustineudo

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
So that I believe is one of the green label PSUs which is their older platform, which aren't that good. The newer grey CX platform is better.
In addition if it is the green label CX it will only have a 3 year warranty, so it's gone past it's guarantee now which could be a thought for what might be the problem top.

Overall it may be worth seeing if a friend has another GPU or a good quality sufficient PSU to test.
I'd initially lean towards PSU, but the only way to know definitely is by swapping and retesting. Just make sure whatever the replacement is, it's good quality, not just enough wattage.
Alright. Thanks for the help! I'll see what I can do in the mean time.