[SOLVED] PC reboots with RX 570 installed ?

May 23, 2021
Hi all,

first of all this is a budget PC for a friend of mine and honestly I never came across such an issue.

System
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (incl. boxed cooler)
G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3200
MSI B550 A-Pro
PSU Corsair RM650x

I added a used rx570 which gave me the following error after assembling and booting the PC with newest adrenaline drivers.
After around 30secs uptime I got a green screen and the PC was rebooting. I found no minidump log only a WHEA ID 18 dump file which pointed me to the driver:

YMBOL_NAME: amdkmdag+aa030
MODULE_NAME: amdkmdag
IMAGE_NAME: amdkmdag.sys
STACK_COMMAND: .thread ; .cxr ; kb
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: LKD_0x141_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys
OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64
OSNAME: Windows 10

I have read of a lots of problems with RX 570 and the newest drivers and therefore I downgraded and currently running on 17.7.2 and the PC is now running stable in desktop mode. However if I run any program which might go to gpu direction (e.g. Furmark or Ati winflash etc.) I get myself a restart.
What I have also came across searching the web is that a lot of these cards were used for mining and that I should try flashing the bios back to the original one (which I downloaded here VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte RX 570 4 GB | TechPowerUp ) . I made sure it matches the gpu-z information of my card.

Now I have tried flashing the card with atiflash274 however the gui of that is not working as it gives me another reboot. I have tried flashing the card via cmd as shown in this video:
HOW TO FLASH RX580 RX570 BIOS TO RX480 RX470 GUIDE PART 1 - YouTube
basically with the command atiwinflash -f -p 0 rx570.rom
It does start as shown in the video but the window with the loading bars clsoes quite fast again and nothing else happens.

Could you please tell me how I can flash the card to the original (downloaded bios)?

Thank you and best regards,
Chris

May 23, 2021
So you bought it used as a WORKING GPU? You might have a mining card in your hands that has problems and the seller was trying to get rid of it.
Was the deal a little too good for the current GPU market?

Yes and I paid around 180€ for it so the price was not too good I guess which does not make this any better...

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
It sounds like the previous owner used a custom bios for mining and pulled the power slider all the way to the max. That custom bios is probably still there and that's causing the incompatibility with the newer drivers and making it crash by trying to pull way too much power that your PSU can't deliver. Try to get the power slider from the driver settings down to the minimum and see what happens

May 23, 2021
Quick Update:

I was able to flash the rx570 to the "original" bios from TechPowerUp. I was able to flash it in another PC. After switching it back in the new budget PC i ran DDU to eliminate all driver. After that I rebooted and checked GPU-Z the values say GPU Clock: 1244 Memory: 1750 (before it was 1050 and 2050). So yes it probably was used for mining.

After the DDU boot I did not install any AMD driver and checked with tool "PerformanceTest" and for the first time this did not reboot my PC (however it looked crappy). I installed the Crimson-ReLive-17.7.2 drivers from AMD as well as the newest ones and both keep restarting the PC immediately with PerformanceTest or any game.

eventlog of windows is saying the following now (sorry for bad google translation):

The process of adding service amdkmdap for device instance ID PCI-VEN_1002&SUBSYS_22F71458 DEV_67DF&REV_EF-4&2283F625&0&0019 ended with the following status: 0.
The process of adding service amdkmdag for device instance ID PCI-VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_22F71458 REV_EF&REV_EF-4&2283F625&0&0019 ended with the following status: 0.

Any ideas?
Thanks for all your help/comments so far!