[SOLVED] PC Recommendation

Jack_O_Healy

Prominent
Nov 27, 2021
Hello...looking to purchase a desktop PC for my son...for Christmas. Looking for a tower recommendation. He mainly plays Minecraft with his buddies online (he's 13). He'd like to get into video streaming...you know...trying to be like other YouTuber's (I said..."stay in school fool"...lol). So, potentially YouTube / Twitch, etc. creation, Minecraft, Fortnite type games, etc.

HE REALLY WANTS SOMETHING WITH LOTS OF COOL LIGHTS - why...I have no idea.

Looking to spend around $1,000.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

Solution
for $1000 you won't find a good gamer/video editor.
the least i would recommend for a decent system would be ~$1600 and that would not include a monitor or peripherals.

if you're really intent on a prebuilt system i would recommend first going to a local shop that you can easily visit for questions, troubleshooting, repairs, replacements, etc.
getting stuck in RMA loops with prebuilt systems can begin to cost A LOT of money & time when shipping back & forth and support isn't the best.

NZXT has begun to stand out as a decent prebuilt source.
offering more of a selection for parts, better base components, and some decent customer support.
if no other choice but to order from abroad this is where i would turn.
for $1000 you won't find a good gamer/video editor.
the least i would recommend for a decent system would be ~$1600 and that would not include a monitor or peripherals.

if you're really intent on a prebuilt system i would recommend first going to a local shop that you can easily visit for questions, troubleshooting, repairs, replacements, etc.
getting stuck in RMA loops with prebuilt systems can begin to cost A LOT of money & time when shipping back & forth and support isn't the best.

NZXT has begun to stand out as a decent prebuilt source.
offering more of a selection for parts, better base components, and some decent customer support.
if no other choice but to order from abroad this is where i would turn.

Solution

Jack_O_Healy

Prominent
Nov 27, 2021
Thanks John...I appreciate the help! Yeah, after looking around...I think you're right...$1,000 ain't gonna cut it...from what I've seen...even $1,600 is on the low side.

I think I'm just gonna have to tell him no on the tower right now...it's something we can both build over the next year...with the help of a local PC shop - it'll be good bonding time and he can learn a few things.

I'm a big fan of the Acer Nitro's considering performance and price. I have one and my oldest son has one and they've been great. I think I'll buy him one of those for Christmas - it'll do everything he wants currently and if he's really serious about the tower with all the lights and gizmos...we'll have to take out time and build it together.

I'm not a complete novice when it comes to PC's / electronics...I'm just not up-to-date where individual components are concerned - all I play is World of Tanks and my Acer is great for that.

I haven't owned a desktop in 20+ years.

So...get him a decent laptop now...build a tower over time...if that's what he really wants.

Thanks again John...much appreciated!

Jack

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost