[SOLVED] PC refuses to power on with GPU.

Dec 9, 2019
A friend was playing with his PC when it suddenly shutdown. Tried to open it and no response. Disconnected everything and reconnected and the fans spin for a half a second before the system shuts down. After that no response. Have to remove the 24-pin connector and reconnect it again to have the system power up for a half a second.

Removing the GPU allows the PC to power up and it boots. Tested a new PSU. Same result except for turning off an on the PSU switch now powers up the system for a half a second instead of having to remove the 24-pin connector every time. The issue with this PSU is that, it has a 4-pin connector while the motherboard has an 8-pin connector.

His Specs:
Intel i7-4790,
MSI B85-G43 Gaming Motherboard,
MSI GTX 1060 3GB,
ADATA 8GB Ram,
Old PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 450W,
New PSU: Neoultion 650W.

Solution
In that case again 2 things I can think of.
The first PSU is aged and can not output the necessary wattage for GPU to run,
or the GPU has died and the poor quality PSU had a role in that.
You can try and pug the 4 pin in and see if it boots but chances are it wont, Never heard of that PSU brand so I cant comment on it, but not having a 8 pin power makes me question its quality.

As far as the original problem, it sounds like the graphics card went bad. If you can test the card in another computer do it, if the computer wont boot up then you found the problem.

Dec 9, 2019
You can try and pug the 4 pin in and see if it boots but chances are it wont, Never heard of that PSU brand so I cant comment on it, but not having a 8 pin power makes me question its quality.

As far as the original problem, it sounds like the graphics card went bad. If you can test the card in another computer do it, if the computer wont boot up then you found the problem.

The PC boots with the 4-pin connector connected if the GPU isn't there. Both PSUs work without the GPU, give or take a couple of restarts here and there. With the GPU the power just stays for less than a second before the whole system shuts down.

Dec 9, 2019
Update: Tried the GPU on my PC. A pre-built from ibuypower. Opening the PC after connecting the GPU results in the same in my PC as well. The LEDs turn on for half a second before turning off. Removed the GPU and tried, with the same result. The PC opened only after a few minutes.

Update: Tried the GPU on my PC. A pre-built from ibuypower. Opening the PC after connecting the GPU results in the same in my PC as well. The LEDs turn on for half a second before turning off. Removed the GPU and tried, with the same result. The PC opened only after a few minutes.
So 2 things here.
All three PSUs are crap (prebuilts have terrible PSUs as well) or, first PSU died taking the card with it.

Dec 9, 2019
So 2 things here.
All three PSUs are crap (prebuilts have terrible PSUs as well) or, first PSU died taking the card with it.
Well the first PSU works without the card. The PC boots up and runs fine. After a few restarts if the GPU was connected and removed. Otherwise works fine if you keep the GPU away from it.