[SOLVED] PC refuses to work after moving back home from college

ovil101

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Back in December I bought a new RTX 2060 Super from EVGA. I installed it and it wouldn't boot. There was no output and the system would restart after 15-30 seconds, and just do this infinitely. Eventually I got it to work after reseating the GPU enough times

All was good for maybe a week? Then, while I was playing Halo, it just turned off and wouldn't start back up. I thought that maybe something was wrong with my motherboard so I bought a new one, however after leaving the system alone for a few day I tried reseating the GPU and it started right up. I just returned the motherboard.

I went to college and the system did the same thing (I take the GPU out of the system during transport). I reseat the GPU and the system boots up fine. I guess I know the solution when this happen.

Except I don't, becuase I just came back home and went to boot up he system and it will not work. I just have the power and display plugged in. I see a black screen for 15-30 seconds, and then it restarts itself, forever. I did notice something that I haven't before. The fans on the GPU turn off after a few seconds. The one on the right (farthest from the IO) turns off, and then a few seconds later the other turns off.

I've reseated the GPU, I even reseated the RAM just to see if that would make a difference. I'm gonna leave it alone until the morning and see if I can get it to work then. Do you guys have any idea what is causing this to happen?

Solution
Booting without a GPU in the system, the same thing happens.

Now for the RAM, we have success! I removed the odd stick and nothing. I removed the second stick of RAM from slot 2 and it booted right up. I put the GPU back in and it still worked fine! I put the second stick back in and the system would not boot. I put the third stick into the third slot and it didn't boot. I restarted and it worked fine, 16GB detected in task manager. I guess my RAM didn't like how it was seated.

ovil101

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

CPU: i5-4690k bought in 2015
RAM: 24 GB, 16 gb kit plus an old 8 gb stick
Motherboard: MSI B45M-E54, 3-4 years old
PSU: 650W EVGA N1, couple years old

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Take another look inside.

Power down, unplug, and verify that all cards, cables, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place.

A new CMOS battery would be something to try as well. Low cost and straightforward.

That said I am also wondering about the PSU. Recommended PSU wattage for your GPU is 550 watts.

The existing 650 watt PSU may not be enough and/or has degraded via heavy use/gaming.

In other words the PSU may no longer be able to support current total system power demands.

ovil101

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Take another look inside.

Power down, unplug, and verify that all cards, cables, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place.

A new CMOS battery would be something to try as well. Low cost and straightforward.

That said I am also wondering about the PSU. Recommended PSU wattage for your GPU is 550 watts.

The existing 650 watt PSU may not be enough and/or has degraded via heavy use/gaming.

In other words the PSU may no longer be able to support current total system power demands.

I just checked all the connectors, they all seem to be in there. I also looked at the PSU and it is only a 600W, my bad. If it was the PSU, wouldn't the system boot but turn off when under load? I'm seeing people running a 2060 Super on a 450w PSU. The card itself is rated for 175W, and the CPU uses a lot less than that. A 600W should be fine, even if the PSU has aged a bit.

Ralston18

Titan
The determining factor is indeed that "aging". Likely that there has been some PSU degradation and a full constant 600 watts will simply not be provided. Or provided for long in any given gaming or working session.

PSU manufacturer's establish the wattage capabilities under idea conditions.

Likewise GPU manufacturers (and other component manufacturers) establish wattage requirements under ideal conditions.

GPUs, now more often than not, start with a simple flat PSU wattage recommendation. Doing so takes the GPU manufacturers somewhat "off the hook" with respect to actual power usage per se.

Power problems manifest in many ways. The system may easily boot with a 600 watt PSU but falter when the actual total wattage load nears or exceeds 600 watts. Tolerances matter.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, before going so far as to buy a new PSU for it....

This has onboard graphics, so what happens if you remove the GPU from it? Will it reliably boot over and over again?

IF not, what happens when you remove either the odd stick of RAM, or the other (matched?) pair? Will it reliably boot over and over again?

How old and of what type is your storage solution?

Check to see if you have Event 41 repeatedly (if you can) after booting into Windows. Many times if there is an existing and repeated low power condition that the OS/system "sees" it will often log it.

ovil101

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Booting without a GPU in the system, the same thing happens.

Now for the RAM, we have success! I removed the odd stick and nothing. I removed the second stick of RAM from slot 2 and it booted right up. I put the GPU back in and it still worked fine! I put the second stick back in and the system would not boot. I put the third stick into the third slot and it didn't boot. I restarted and it worked fine, 16GB detected in task manager. I guess my RAM didn't like how it was seated.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution