Apr 6, 2023
As the title says, a few days ago I got an USB power surge warning as I was charging a few too many VR accessories through my USB ports. Unplugged all the devices and everything seemed normal. However, when I tried to start the PC the next day, it would refuse to boot. The fans spun up and the LED's on the GPU, RAM, cooler, fans etc all starter, but never reached the BIOS stage.

Things I have tried:
  • Unplugging ALL peripherals while the PSU switch is off and then restarting seems to start the PC as usual. Plugging in peripherals after windows has started appears to work without any issue.
  • Updated all my drivers and Windows. No difference.
  • Cleaned off any dust, made sure cables are properly socketed. All cables were properly connected.
  • Ran the windows hardware diagnostics thing through the powershell. No change.

Some things I have noticed:
  • It appears that I have to unplug more and more peripherals for the PC to even boot over the last three days. Today I had to unplug everything for this to work.
  • When booting with peripherals, my Motherboard gives me an LED debug light of VGA. I have made sure the cable is socketed properly.
  • At random, no debug LEDs will light up after no changes and a restart, giving me the impression it might be a false positive.
  • When starting in the faulty state, the fans will spin up to a high very quickly and stay there unlike the usual boot procedure, where the fans spin up slowly and change their speed throughout the booting process.

My components:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: RTX 3060
Motherboard: MPG X570 GAMING PRO CABRON WIFI
PSU: CX750F RGB Blanche
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz
OS (if relevant): Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The parts are all relatively new having just passed a year of use.
I spoke to a friend who thought that I might have damaged my power supply.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 6, 2023
Small update. Tested a new PSU and resetting the bios.

• First I borrowed a 1000W PSU from a friend. This made no change for the restart.
  • Later, switching back to my old 750W PSU that I was using before and resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery fixed the issue.

Thank you for your help!
reset the bios

try a different PSU

Reactions: helpstar

TRENDING THREADS