PC regularly freezes for a few seconds at a time (HDD Related?)

bgbugighb

Commendable
May 27, 2018
So my computer has been freezing every few hours for the past few weeks, it will only freeze for a second or 2 at a time. Audio will stop and videos will kinda pause themselves, games I'm playing speed up to catch up to real time.

Hard drive scans built into windows 10 say there is no problem with my hard drive, but when the PC freezes, the hard drive makes sounds as if it is just starting up. You can hear it begin to spin faster and make some noises.

For reference windows 10 is installed onto my ssd.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Temperature is always a potential issue. Too, I find the Intel Speed step can interfere too. If your bios has this I would suggest disabling it. Otherwise, it is almost always a rogue process that is running. Many potential reasons here.

Your hard drive is going to sleep (spinning down) to conserve power. It takes a few seconds to spin up. Normally this only causes a pause in the program accessing the HDD. But if the OS is accessing it for something system-critical (like swapping memory to/from a pagefile), it will freeze everything until it gets the data it needs from the HDD.

You can change the HDD sleep timer (make it longer so it happens less frequently) or disable it entirely in your power plan profile. Better yet, get a SSD and put your OS and programs on that. Use the HDD only to store data, never the pagefile.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-hard-drive-going-sleep-windows

bgbugighb

Commendable
May 27, 2018

My OS is on my ssd, how do i make it so the HDD doesnt store a pagefile

bgbugighb

Commendable
May 27, 2018

So the pagefile issue described above is not relevant to me I assume, I'm still unsure as to why the HDD spins up after a freeze then

TRENDING THREADS