PC reinstall with XP - wired connection no packets received

mystuff88

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hi,

I'm at my wit's end with this. Appreciate your help. I reformat my old PC and installed Win XP SP3. There were no errors during installation and everything works ok. However, I'm not able to connect to the internet with my ethernet cable. The LAN connection shows 'Connected' but properties shows some packets sent but zero received. There are no antivirus program installed, windows firewall is turned off as well.

I've tried the following:
- Tried the same ethernet cable connection to another PC and I was able to get on the internet (so no ISP or router issues I assumed).
- Fix the stack using Winsock - didn't work.
- Device Manager now shows Network Adapter > Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Controller #2 (no yellow question mark). Although I had to reinstall the driver after XP installation.
- Here's the result of ipconfig/all:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : fiu-cf8cd9c6ded
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : EF-9F-E9-F7-F7-F7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.141
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:21:25 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:21:25 PM

Can someone please shed some light into this issue? Thanks a lot!

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
When you formatted the PC, that would of also deleted the NIC driver along with it. For some NIC's, this driver is essential for it to even function properly.

Having said that, the first thing you should do is download the NIC/LAN driver for you motherboard.

Your IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DHCP server all look fine.

edit: also your DNS points to your default gateway, not an actual DNS server. From past experience that has never worked for me so you might want to check that out. The router should hand out the DNS servers. Make sure 'obtain DNS servers automatically' is checked in the NIC settings.

mystuff88

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
So, I should have the Network Adapter that I've already installed and the NIC/LAN driver? I looked up the specs for the motherboard for the LAN it says 'PCIe 10/100M LAN controller'. There's no vendor.

The other PC that I hooked up has the same DNS info pointing to the default gateway. The internet works there.

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
ok in that case don't change the DNS settings.

what motherboard do you have? usually on the manufactures website for the mobo there's a download section where you can get the drivers.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
This is strange your nic card is working to a point how else did you get all the setting from the DHCP server. See if you can ping the gateway from the command prompt. You can also ping a well known address on the internet like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8