PC Reliability: Apple Falls; Asus & Lenovo Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think this is somewhat biased pro-apple. People who buy an Apple product won't call to 1-800-RESCUE-PC as they have a "MAC" and not a "PC". That doesn't mean that their computer didn't break.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Are these hardware issues only? I think it would be amazing if Asus and Lenovo got those numbers with service calls for Windows issues.

Also, how do these numbers work out? There must be some kind of crazy adjustable scale here, obviously some manufacturer generates a higher percentage of calls than they own market share. Where is Dell on this list, or RESCUECOM doens't handle them (but they handle HP?)

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Wondering what is the score for Dell?..[/citation]
Dell's service is run completely through dell itself. They dont outsource. So they have no reason to release these numbers to an outside company.

MrManO1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
more important than market share, what is the average age of these computers? If the average HP is 5 times older than Asus then that throws off the numbers a bit. Most Asus PCs out there should be under a Manufacturer's Warranty considering they haven't been out that long, so those people wouldn't call RescueCom. Also what is the proportion of laptops to desktops (and netbooks)? I would buy a Gateway desktop (not on the list) but never one of their laptops. In fact I wouldn't be afraid to buy any brand of desktop except Dell.
Good idea for an article, bad implementation.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i am actually kinda surprised dell isnt on the list...

asus has never let me down with customer service, even if their methods didn't work, they never left me hanging.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
"Apple Falls" oh, how sad, i'm in tears, really

ok not really, i'm so happy, i can't stop laughing, i hate those apple people, yes all of them

ok, i don't really hate them, i just suffering from apple envy, crave those slim sexy notebooks

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
pretty interesting, it'd be nice to widen the scope of brands, as well as taking into consideration other aspects of reliability beyond a count of phone calls to a single company.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Who the hell calls their notebook company for help with Windows? Those guys are idiots dealing with hardware issues I couldn't imagine trying to troubleshoot a Windows problem.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
As some have already pointed out that chart is utterly useless.

It compares % computers shipped vs. service calls made by a select company.

Its the equivalent of comparing % of cars shipped vs. service tickets handled by Firestone.

Its flawed on so many levels it needs a flowchart keep track of them all. Among the biggest issues are:

A service ticket in no way means a hardware issue. Many calls made have nothing to do with a hardware failure.

The demographics of this company (rescue PC) completely skew any comparative results. Just because there is x spread of computers shipped doesn't mean the same spread of people use this company.

You want a handle on reliability, probably one of the best bets is to check RMAs. Even then there are a lot of errors to factor in.

But claiming that chart means anything remotely concrete is just silly.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Well, are they basing the reliability on a ratio of sold to repaired? Or what? Otherwise it would be unfair to HP which has the highest shipped. For the math to work you would have to have them all at the same % or shipped to accurately show the % of repairs and reliability.

I guess I don't understand how they get their numbers and how they figure the reliability. There has to be a ratio otherwise it would be unfair to HP as it ships more than any other.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Reads like an auto reliability report; Asian manufactures take the top spots. IBM/Lenovo has the best actual score consider how many old ThinkPad are still around.

G

I cant say whats the quality of a Dell, but as a pc tech im extremely happy when i have to repair one, you can find absolutely anything on their website, and i havnt had any problems with their tech support at all, be it in a chat or phone call, even when the computers are out of warranty.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]"Apple Falls" oh, how sad, i'm in tears, reallyok not really, i'm so happy, i can't stop laughing, i hate those apple people, yes all of themok, i don't really hate them, i just suffering from apple envy, crave those slim sexy notebooks[/citation]
Just a little bit of sarcasm ;)

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'd just like to add that this also doesn't consider the hardware installed. High power laptops tend to fail more frequently than low power laptops due to their nature. I think to keep the info useful, you have to separate out the netbooks from the standard laptops from the gamming (discrete video) laptops.

As another example, it doesn't say much to compare reliability between a dirt bike and a street bike. One you throw on the ground, the other you take care of like it's a child. So if Acer sells more 'fast' laptops than Lenovo, it's not fair comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.