[SOLVED] PC repairing with a diagnostic POST card ?

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Hello guys
I have a question about pc repairing.
I got a bios post cardfrom my friend.
My question is that does bios post card find cpu and motherboard faults?
If motherboard is a damaged then how post card works?
Also cpu initiate bios process by putting bios code to ram for execution.then how it works if cpu is damaged?

Also I have to choose a motherboard and ram for my friend.
Then how to know motherboard and ram support xmp profile?
Thee are lot of motherboard series and lot of ram brands.
Then how to know both support xmp?

Solution
POST cards receive power. Their internal hardware and software check various things.

1. Voltages, it should report 5V, 12, and 3.3V failures.
  2. Can it communicate to the CPU (and detect the bus it is plugged into)
  3. Can it communicate to the chipset (and detect the bus it is plugged into)
If the motherboard is damaged, the POST card will still have some information. POST is more complicated then you think, every device has a POST and you can intelligently see various things if you have the right sensors and software. Since ATX post is standardized and regulated you just have see how far the process goes before failure, then produce a response with the information you have.

The BIOS can't put code into the CPU/RAM memory if...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
POST cards receive power. Their internal hardware and software check various things.

1. Voltages, it should report 5V, 12, and 3.3V failures.
  2. Can it communicate to the CPU (and detect the bus it is plugged into)
  3. Can it communicate to the chipset (and detect the bus it is plugged into)
If the motherboard is damaged, the POST card will still have some information. POST is more complicated then you think, every device has a POST and you can intelligently see various things if you have the right sensors and software. Since ATX post is standardized and regulated you just have see how far the process goes before failure, then produce a response with the information you have.

The BIOS can't put code into the CPU/RAM memory if it doesn't work, no. POST card would probably just display an error code related to that.

Pretty straight forward to pick a motherboard.
Start with the target CPU.
Do you desire overclocking?
AMD) B and X series chipsets (A series chipset should be avoided, unless cost is of absolute importance)
Intel) Z series chipsets
XMP/DOCP support
AMD) B and X series
Intel) B, Q, and Z/X series chipsets (Exception of the B460 and H410/470 series chipset from Intel)

Each motherboard support page will have information on supported memory speeds, and a list of tested memory.

Last edited:
Solution
What is the make/model of this post card?
My thought is that they are mostly useless.
Running memtest86 from a usb stick is a simple way to verify that a pc is basically sound.

Does friend have any parts already?
What is the purpose of the proposed pc?
Is there a budget?

One can not pick a motherboard without knowing the cpu to be used.
And, without knowing the size of the case and perhaps other considerations.
xmp is a set of settings embedded in the ram stick that allows the ram to operate at advertised speeds.
XMP applies to Intel, but there is an equivalent for AMD.
A motherboard must be capable of implementing XMP or at least allowing the user to specify ram settings.

Not a problem for basic operation since all ram has a default speed that works to allow you to get into the bios and perhaps select a higher speed.