Question Pc requires ethernet don't have a ethernet port available upstairs, I need to find a good wifi adapter

May 27, 2022
I need someone to help me, I've posted to like 4 forums with no replies, I need a long-range wifi adapter which can support at least 300mbps, I tried 2 other NetGear wifi adapters, and both of them hit the maximum of 5mbps

300mbps, through walls, on an entirely different floor than the router? Good luck with that. That's why you haven't received any replies on those other forums. People will likely look at your requirements and nope right on out of there because it's not realistic and they know it.

What model of Netgear adapters did you try?

May 27, 2022
300mbps, through walls, on an entirely different floor than the router? Good luck with that. That's why you haven't received any replies on those other forums. People will likely look at your requirements and nope right on out of there because it's not realistic and they know it.

What model of Netgear adapters did you try?
im so tired of looking, I just want a good connection its right under me, I dont even need a network adapter, I just want my connection without swapping out his motherboard, spent hours trying to look for something and im been just running into walls pretty much, im so tired doing this

Mod Edit - Language

Last edited by a moderator:
is this insinuating that your building doesn't have good electrical wiring?

if the building has good electrical wiring,
before going with WiFi i would look into a powerline adapter.

the latest devolo products have been pretty nice.
have a Magic 2 WiFi Next that offers both Ethernet through powerline and a strong WiFi signal through the endline box.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should get more than 5mb with pretty much any wifi adapter. It is unrealistic to try to get 300mbps on wifi through floors. Now if you want to spend big money and try wifi6e maybe that will be closer. Wifi6e uses the 6g radio band and makes it easier to get 160mhz radio channels.
In very good conditions people have been getting 600-700mbps with these but it is hard to say what a more average case would be. Too many people bragging about their results and then revealing they are sitting in the same room as the router.

Problem is you are going to have to replace the router and the nic card so both support wifi6e. It still may not work if too much signal is being absorbed by the floor. People that live in buildings with concreate walls and floors get almost no signals through them. There is no solution for this. The output transmit power of devices
is limited by the government and most routers transmit that legal maximum.

If you really can only get 5mbps rates I am going to bet there is no solution and your house just absorbs too much signal.

If the router is directly below you, what is stopping you from dropping an ethernet cable through the floor and down the wall of the other room to the router? If that's not an option, then like Bill said, maybe try WiFi 6e, but the cost of that is not going to be small for a new router and wireless adapter. Powerline adapter might just be your best bet, but that too isn't going to be as cheap as an adapter only solution would be, but since that won't get you the results you're looking for you may just have to accept that anything which will get you near where you want to be is simply going to cost more than you had planned.