Question PC requiring multiple boots to load windows 10, now it's not loading it at all

zaynekhan11

Prominent
May 13, 2018
I've had this problem from some time now. Sometimes when I turn on my PC it hangs on the blinking underscore right before the windows logo. When that happens everything takes forever to load. Technically I can get to windows from there but everything is way too slow to load: even opening the explorer or start button takes a while to pop up. To solve this I would reboot my PC until it moves past the blinking underscore quickly so I know everything is moving fast. From then on everything works normally. I can even restart my PC from the start menu with no problems. It's not until i fully power down my PC does the problem sometimes come up and I have to keep rebooting until it works again.

After a couple months of this, now it never corrects itself even after multiple boots. I tried using a different SSD and fresh installing windows 10 on it but the problem persisted. I thought it might be a PSU issue so I got a new one and installed it but still no luck. Also booted up my PC with one RAM stick at a time but doesn't seem to be a RAM problem. My only guess is it might be a problem with the motherboard but I'd rather be sure I know what the problem is before replacing the mobo.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. My only hope now is to take it in to be repaired because I don't know what else to try. Thanks for your time :)

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Intermittent problems like one you're describing are very difficult to track down. From what you're describing it could easily be an intermittent failure of the motherboard chip which reads your SSD, or other components on its PCB board, - hence slow boots and OS response, which does make sense especially since it seems to get worse with time. I once had a laptop motherboard which eventually failed completely to read SSDs after exhibiting the kind of problems you're describing for some time.

Other things you could try to rule something like this out is update your BIOS, reset BIOS to default settings (remove or/and swap CMOS battery), swap data cable connecting your SSD to the motherboard for new one, use different port to connect SSD, swap GPU for another one, use different PCI Express slot, or, connect monitor with onboard GPU if you have it, finally run different stress tests with Prime95. I'd say rum memtest, but you already played around with RAM sticks, so it's unlikely to be that. You have pretty much tried everything else. If all of this fails to change anything, take it to a knowledgeable technician or RMA motherboard. Best of luck.