PC Reserves exactly half memory for hardware

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
So I have had this issue for about year now and its really annoying me. I have 8GB of memory and for some reason half of it is being reserved for hardware. I have tried everything:
- REGEDIT
- MSCONFIG
- Reinstall of windows
- Update BIOS
- Swap ram
- Swap GPU
- Swap Ram slots

So I really don't know what to do with my PC anymore. I know its not bad ram RAM because I swapped it with 4GB and it reduced it to 2GB. The slots work because in the BIOS it reads all 8GB and mem test doesn't detect any error. I even checked CPU-ID and that says everything is fine. The only way I know its limiting is is because it says it in Task Manager. I also notice lack in performance. Is this a hardware issue or one in Windows? Below are my system specs:

- AMD FX 6300
- Gigabyte GA 970A-UD3P
- G.Skill Ripjaw X 2x4 GB
- MSI GeForce GTX 750ti OC
- EVGA 430w PSU
- Windows 10 64bit

Solution
What do you mean that the system is "reserving" half of your RAM, especially since you're saying the full 8GB is detected in BIOS? Do you mean that, when you pull up the System Information screen, that Windows is only recognizing 4GB of RAM total...or that it's showing the full 8GB, but only showing ~4GB "available"?
-- If it's the former, then Windows isn't recognizing the RAM correctly. If it's a recent occurrence, try rolling back any Windows updates. If it's happened from day 1, you'll need to try reinstalling Windows.
-- If it's the latter (which I strongly suspect)...this is how Windows works. There's a lot of stuff that runs in the background. Some are part of the Windows OS, some are the programs running on your PC...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
When this happens it's usually because Windows detects a problem with memory and reserves half so that it's not used.

Have you swapped the memory around to see if it is just one slot that causes this? You said Memtest did not detect any errors the RAM sticks might be OK.

When you did single DIMM and it was half reserved to 2GB you did this in all slots? With both DIMMs?

BTW what speed are those 2 G.SKill DIMMs?

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
What do you mean that the system is "reserving" half of your RAM, especially since you're saying the full 8GB is detected in BIOS? Do you mean that, when you pull up the System Information screen, that Windows is only recognizing 4GB of RAM total...or that it's showing the full 8GB, but only showing ~4GB "available"?
-- If it's the former, then Windows isn't recognizing the RAM correctly. If it's a recent occurrence, try rolling back any Windows updates. If it's happened from day 1, you'll need to try reinstalling Windows.
-- If it's the latter (which I strongly suspect)...this is how Windows works. There's a lot of stuff that runs in the background. Some are part of the Windows OS, some are the programs running on your PC, & some are "background" apps that those active apps use (i.e. preloaders).

To double-check, try closing out every program you can -- browsers, GPU monitors, any program that shows up in the bottom right corner of the screen, etc. -- & check the System Information page again. If the amount of "available" RAM goes up, then everything's working OK.

Solution