Question PC resets/ Displays go black after loading certain games

Ayane

Prominent
Aug 28, 2022
I've been having this issue for a while and can't figure it out. Initially I thought it was a GPU issue but no clue. I have gone into event viewer to see the problem and understand none of it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 17/06/2024 10:13:31
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-UATFK4V
Description:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_BcastDVRUserService, version: 10.0.19041.4355, time stamp: 0x9ce47784
Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 31.0.15.5161, time stamp: 0x65cdf06b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004495c2
Faulting process ID: 0xbb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01dac09653a952cd
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_830091b3ebd4b98a\nvwgf2umx.dll
Report ID: f43082b3-53f8-46fe-a5b5-c1310a153e08
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2024-06-17T09:13:31.1672145Z" />
<EventRecordID>6888</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-UATFK4V</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>svchost.exe_BcastDVRUserService</Data>
<Data>10.0.19041.4355</Data>
<Data>9ce47784</Data>
<Data>nvwgf2umx.dll</Data>
<Data>31.0.15.5161</Data>
<Data>65cdf06b</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00000000004495c2</Data>
<Data>bb0</Data>
<Data>01dac09653a952cd</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_830091b3ebd4b98a\nvwgf2umx.dll</Data>
<Data>f43082b3-53f8-46fe-a5b5-c1310a153e08</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Event ID: 1000
Points towards to file corruption.

Things to try;
1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt (or cmd.exe), right-click the top/correct result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command to perform system repair and press Enter:
SFC /scannow

4. If the scan found corrupt files and repaired them, run the same command again, just in case:
(if no errors were found, skip to step #5)
SFC /scannow

5. Once no errors are found with SFC /scannow, type the following command to perform a quick check and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

6. Once this is done and when corruption is detected, type in another command for in-depth scan and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

7. Once this is done and there are issues with system image, type in another command for fixing it and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

8. Once the system image repair is complete, type in another command and press Enter:
SFC /scannow

9. After last once completes, final command with Enter press would be:
exit

This closes the terminal window.

Note: SFC /scannow, DISM /ScanHealth and DISM /RestoreHealth may take a long time to complete. Do not close the terminal window or do not reboot the system, when each of theses scans/fixes are taking place, even when they seemingly get stuck.

Ayane

Prominent
Aug 28, 2022
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Points towards to file corruption.

Things to try;
1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt (or cmd.exe), right-click the top/correct result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command to perform system repair and press Enter:
SFC /scannow

4. If the scan found corrupt files and repaired them, run the same command again, just in case:
(if no errors were found, skip to step #5)
SFC /scannow

5. Once no errors are found with SFC /scannow, type the following command to perform a quick check and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

6. Once this is done and when corruption is detected, type in another command for in-depth scan and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

7. Once this is done and there are issues with system image, type in another command for fixing it and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

8. Once the system image repair is complete, type in another command and press Enter:
SFC /scannow

9. After last once completes, final command with Enter press would be:
exit

This closes the terminal window.

Note: SFC /scannow, DISM /ScanHealth and DISM /RestoreHealth may take a long time to complete. Do not close the terminal window or do not reboot the system, when each of theses scans/fixes are taking place, even when they seemingly get stuck.
System specs;
GPU - RTX 2080 super
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core. 4Ghz
Ram - 32GB
PSU - Cronus Modular 850W, EVO Labs

I'd say I brought my PSU about 4 ish years ago by now and brought brand new. I started having this and several other problems when I had gone away for 3 days and found that a lot of stuff had been corrupted or simply not working when got back, which is weird as I never had a problem with it before then.

Another point which might help is my HDD, not my main SSD, was/is acting up as well. Not a major issue itself but could that be part of the problem?

Oh also I tried those steps and didn't seem to work.

That PSU from EVO Labs seems kind of some cheap or a knock off brand. And yes, it could very well be. Thanks, Darkbreeze !

OP, kindly check the first post under this thread (scroll to the bottom).

A-Top, AK Power, Akyga, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Aresgame, Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech (Mostly older models. Newer models may be fine or even good. Look to specific model reviews for this brand), Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Digital Alliance, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, "Evo labs", EZ cool, Feedtek,

BTW, where did the PSU Tier List go ? I'm pretty sure it was pinned under this section ? https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/power-supplies.75/

But anyway, I have never heard of this Evo labs brand/company, and a quick google search doesn't provide any concrete info either, so this model is a huge "red flag". And this might be the culprit in your case.

Maybe try upgrading the PSU to a much better and a higher quality model ? Never SKIMP on the PSU. This is the most important component.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I started having this and several other problems when I had gone away for 3 days and found that a lot of stuff had been corrupted or simply not working when got back, which is weird as I never had a problem with it before then.

Another point which might help is my HDD, not my main SSD, was/is acting up as well. Not a major issue itself but could that be part of the problem?
All that can be explained by this:
PSU - Cronus Modular 850W, EVO Labs
That is a crap quality PSU.

Thing with PSU is, since PSU powers everything, PSU is the most important component inside the PC.

PSUs, especially cheap ones, can feed out of spec voltages to the hardware, damaging them over time. Until you start seeing all sorts of issues. File corruption is one of the least severe ones. But it damaging CPU or GPU is far more severe, since you can not undo the damage. And with crap quality PSUs, there is no telling when they blow up, release the magic smoke and fry everything they are connected to (aka your whole PC).

1st order of business would be PSU replacement, with good/great quality unit.
E.g: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium.
750W range unit does fine.

Now, new PSU doesn't fix the damage caused by the Evo Labs unit, but for the very least, it won't make it any worse. Also, any component changes you do, you can be safe that good quality unit won't damage them.

With new PSU in place, and IF the software corruption issues still remain, 2 options;
1. Format OS drive and make a clean Win installation.
2. Replace OS drive. (It is a possibility that current PSU has damaged the drive, thus files on it get corrupted.)

Life lesson: NEVER cheap out on PSU! Also, never buy used PSU either.

Ayane

Prominent
Aug 28, 2022
All that can be explained by this:

That is a crap quality PSU.

Thing with PSU is, since PSU powers everything, PSU is the most important component inside the PC.

PSUs, especially cheap ones, can feed out of spec voltages to the hardware, damaging them over time. Until you start seeing all sorts of issues. File corruption is one of the least severe ones. But it damaging CPU or GPU is far more severe, since you can not undo the damage. And with crap quality PSUs, there is no telling when they blow up, release the magic smoke and fry everything they are connected to (aka your whole PC).

1st order of business would be PSU replacement, with good/great quality unit.
E.g: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium.
750W range unit does fine.

Now, new PSU doesn't fix the damage caused by the Evo Labs unit, but for the very least, it won't make it any worse. Also, any component changes you do, you can be safe that good quality unit won't damage them.

With new PSU in place, and IF the software corruption issues still remain, 2 options;
1. Format OS drive and make a clean Win installation.
2. Replace OS drive. (It is a possibility that current PSU has damaged the drive, thus files on it get corrupted.)

Life lesson: NEVER cheap out on PSU! Also, never buy used PSU either.
I know this is just me being arrogant blah blah blah and will DEFINITLEY take this to mind. Thank you and @Metal Messiah. for the info!

It's just odd that it's suddenly a PSU issue out of no where. But that's PC's for you so what else can I expect XD. And although it was in my very 1st days of PC building, at the time can't say that I cheaped out on it at the time as was brought in store as well, but seeing the prices for this now, yeah I see why you'd think that. Of course I am well aware of the PSU being the most important in the build, and have done a lot more research into it now then I ever did back then, and that thread that @Metal Messiah. provided will definitely also help!

When I upgrade and test it again, I'll come back to here and update if that resolved anything or not, but as u said as well, well stop and further issues later on so always a plus side!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's just odd that it's suddenly a PSU issue out of no where.
Not all PSUs are created equal and with crap quality units, there is no fixed date/time when it starts throwing issues or even completely dies, out of the blue.
Good/great quality units, in the other hand, you can be sure that they will last.

For example;
My main build (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig), is powered by Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) [SSR-650TD] PSU. I bought my PSU in Q4 '16. Now, ~8 years later, my PSU is still going strong, without 0 issues from it. Then again, i bought the best 650W unit money could buy back in 2016. (I payed €206.80 for it.) And it still is one of the best (if not the best) PSUs out there.

What sets it apart, among others, is that it's the flagship of Seasonic and it comes with 12 years of warranty. Yes, you read correctly, 12 years. Besides Seasonic PRIME lineup, only Seasonic Vertex has also 12 years of warranty, while ALL other PSUs out there, at most, have 10 years of warranty.
Reputable review of my PSU: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html

Me having SSR-650TD powering my main build isn't just a fluke. I also have Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Titanium) [SSR-650TR] powering my Haswell build (PSU costed €205.50). Only for my old AMD build, i went a bit cheaper: Seasonic Focus+ 550 (80+ Platinum) [SSR-550PX] (PSU costed €101.50).

Oh, PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

Your Evo Labs unit had 2 years of warranty, if i recall correctly when i researched it.

and have done a lot more research into it now then I ever did back then, and that thread that @Metal Messiah. provided will definitely also help!
Here's another great article that helps you to choose a good/great PSU;
link: https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atxv3-pcie5-ready-psus-picks-hardware-busters/