Question PC resetting after new GPU install

Mar 29, 2021
Ryzen 7 3700x/Asrock x570m pro4/XFX Merc 319 6800xt/TT tough power pf1 805W 80+platinum/32G corsair vengeance lpx

I swapped out my 3070 FE for a 6800xt a few days ago and cant seem to get it to work right. computer ran flawlessly with the 3070 but with the 6800xt every time I launch a game, it will run for a few minutes, then the audio will start messing up? then the whole PC blackscreens and resets. I have updated the drivers and deleted the old nvidia drivers. I've deleted and reinstalled the drivers as well. I had a 650W 80+ platinum PSU so I figured that could be the issue. upgraded to an 850W 80+ platinum and still same issue. I can tell when the computer is about to reset while gaming because for some reason the audio starts to get static and skips. I ran the heaven benchmark and it ran that all the way through without issue. also can browse the internet, and watch videos without issue. only happens while in a game. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 2871437

Have you rechecked all the cabling? Are you using two separate (pcie) power cables for the 6800xt, not 'pig tails'?
How did you delete the Nvidia drivers - through windows control panel 'uninstall a program'?

Mar 29, 2021
Have you rechecked all the cabling? Are you using two separate (pcie) power cables for the 6800xt, not 'pig tails'?
How did you delete the Nvidia drivers - through windows control panel 'uninstall a program'?
I checked the connections and everything seems fine. With the 650w unit I was using the one pcie split into 2. But with the 850w unit I wired 2 dedicated pcie cables to the gpu. I have cable extensions on them now. I will try and remove the extensions and wire the pcie cable straight into the gpu later today. That's the only other thing I can think to do. And yes, I Uninstaller them through the control panel.

D

Deleted member 2871437

Have you cleared CMOS since the new installation? Are the bios settings default (optimisation)? XMP?
If there's any overclocking, you should try removing that /reset to default and seeing how the system goes.

When you swapped the PSUs, did you remove the old PSU cabling and put in new cabling that came with the new PSU (I'm guessing yes)?

Do you still have the RTX 3070 to swap it back in and see how the system goes with it?

Have you looked at any windows event logs? May not be very helpful if it's a hardware problem, but there are people on this forum who can use those to help identify software issues.

What bios are you on? The latest, 3.40, includes support for the Resizable-BAR option. If your system is stable apart from running demanding games you could consider a bios update, which will sometimes improve system stability.