PC Resetting while gaming

nashmage

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I have an issue where my PC will freeze and / or reset itself whenever I am playing a game. It takes less than 5 minutes for this to occur.

It has only happened for roughly the past week or two. I used to be able to play games on high settings for hours without any issues.

After research on the problem I was told that the PSU was probably the issue. For my setup I was recommended a Corsair CX600 so I made the order. It came in today, installed and still having the same issue. At this point I have no idea what to do so I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas.

50% of the time windows will reboot with a pop up stating a BSOD happened and other times it will just reset with no pop up.

Here are the system Specs:

i7-3820
16GB Ram
Intel DX79TO
Corsair CX600
Gigabyte GTX 670

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

did you try a windows system restore to a point before the issues started happening? sometimes windows gets bugged up and starts odd errors. this is usually the first thing i try.

is it a heat issue? are all the fans spinning? what were your psu and gpu temps? try leaving the case side panel off. does the issue still occur?

have you ran memtest to check if your ram is having problems?

nashmage

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I tried doing a system restore but it didn't fix the issue so I went so far as to reformat and start over.. still the same.

Doesnt appear to have any heat issues, all of the fans are working and the cpu/gpu dont go past 50 degrees.

Ran multiple memtests and no issues with ram.

I had someone suggest 600 watts wasn't enough for my setup which could cause the issue. I went and grabbed a 850watt psu and still having the same issue.

The only thing I can think of is that the GPU is the problem..

the typical gaming pc draws less than 500w at maximum load.

a 600w psu is typically good enough although some prefer to recommend a 650 or 750 for "headroom" so the psu doesnt have to work so hard.

if the gpu as going you would get no video but the computer would not be restarting.

if it isnt heat, it isnt ram, and isnt fixed by system restore or reinstall....

my next thing to try would be the hard drive.

a failing hard drive can cause all sorts of problems such as slowdowns, hanging up and also blue screen.

replace the hard drive.