May 8, 2022
I recently upgraded my RAM from 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (4 x 8GB) to Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 (4x8GB) - I'm using XMP 1, so the frequency is the full 3600mhz, in the BIOS on a ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO motherboard, i9 9900K CPU, RTX 3080ti and a recently purchased 1000w Asus Strix PSU.

The issue I'm having is whenever I unplug my PC to either go to sleep, leave the house for work or whatever, when I plug it back in and power it on the system restarts almost immediately (all the RGB comes on and fans spin up for like a second) then it takes at least a minute to boot up as normal (Windows is installed on a 512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD).

This issue has only arisen since installing this new RAM. The RAM was bought as 2 lots of 2x8GB and not as one kit of 4x8GB - could this be an issue or am I missing something? This is very annoying as it is taking 10 - 15 times as long to boot up after powering off. Leaving the PC plugged in when I'm not in the house isn't an option.

I recently upgraded my RAM from 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (4 x 8GB) to Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 (4x8GB) - I'm using XMP 1, so the frequency is the full 3600mhz, in the BIOS on a ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO motherboard, i9 9900K CPU, RTX 3080ti and a recently purchased 1000w Asus Strix PSU.

The issue I'm having is whenever I unplug my PC to either go to sleep, leave the house for work or whatever, when I plug it back in and power it on the system restarts almost immediately (all the RGB comes on and fans spin up for like a second) then it takes at least a minute to boot up as normal (Windows is installed on a 512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD).

This issue has only arisen since installing this new RAM. The RAM was bought as 2 lots of 2x8GB and not as one kit of 4x8GB - could this be an issue or am I missing something? This is very annoying as it is taking 10 - 15 times as long to boot up after powering off. Leaving the PC plugged in when I'm not in the house isn't an option.
RAM is only guaranteed to work when bought as a kit.

Does the BIOS reset after its unplugged for some time?

Sounds like it's doing memory check/try at boot.

Reactions: WildCard999
May 8, 2022
RAM is only guaranteed to work when bought as a kit.

Does the BIOS reset after its unplugged for some time?

Sounds like it's doing memory check/try at boot.

The initial boot after plugging it back in can take up to between a minute and 2 minutes and that's after the aforementioned immediate system restart. Would you suggest returning the RAM and getting it replaced with a full kit instead of trying to match 2 separate kits?

May 8, 2022
Mixing kits, even if identical is a hit or miss. Try removing one of the kits and see if the restarts stop. If so then sell or return both kits and buy a 2x16gb kit.
2 sticks is fine. Just be sure to install them in slots a2-b2.

So it turns out that my motherboard simply wasn't good enough! So, I've decided to splash some cash and do a major upgrade of my current system, could anyone have a glance at the parts I'm looking at and give some advice on whether it's ok or suggest better parts - it will all be running with a Gigabyte 3080 ti and a 1000w Asus PSU on a 1440p monitor.

https://www.scan.co.uk/wishlists/7e04bdf2-a5bb-4651-92e7-6514b5e207d6

Last edited:
So it turns out that my motherboard simply wasn't good enough! So, I've decided to splash some cash and do a major upgrade of my current system, could anyone have a glance at the parts I'm looking at and give some advice on whether it's ok or suggest better parts - it will all be running with a Gigabyte 3080 ti and a 1000w Asus PSU on a 1440p monitor.
You have a quality motherboard. Not sure what you're changing to.