[SOLVED] PC Restart on slightest gpu usage

Carbowix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Recently I've built a PC that's been running pretty good for months. But today my pc started to restart/shutdown when anything is using the GPU. If I launch any benchmarks or games the PC instantly/restarts or shutdown in few seconds of game's/program's launch. I've have analyzed the temperatures and seems everything is pretty stable.
GPU: 50 C*
CPU: 50-55C*
But when I watched my CPU through AMD Master Ryzen, I noticed that its never goes into power saving mode and is always in constant load on all cores. I tried power saving mode for windows power options which made a nice effect, but still my PC shutdown/restart on any graphics related stuff, but if stood IDLE it works totally fine without issues. I might have suspicion on my PSU since it came with my case built in.
I also noticed after 3 restarts it works normal till you do ALT-Tabbing and restarts instantly after.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Evga GTX 980ti ACX 2.0
MSI B450m
Adata XPG 8gb Ram
Cougar MX330 Case (STE 500w PSU)
Samsung EVO 960 PRO NVME 500g SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm

Solution
If you can borrow a PSU from somewhere first, that would be best, to verify that it is indeed the PSU. I'm only going off the basis that I can see and my experience, and generally the once software/firmware has been eliminated, it tends to go:

PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU.

Cheapest but good quality PSU I'd recommend for a 980Ti system:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $64.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 05:58 EST-0500

Does the PC only restart when you induce load? Not randomly on idle?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This would be a concern, can't find any reference to it, which would likely tell me it's a poor quality PSU, which is an immediate red flag. I know the Cougar STX isn't fantastic, but I don't know about the STE - however i believe it is a very budget oriented model.
In effect when you start say a game, your GPU suddenly draws a large amount of power from the PSU, in cases where the PSU is faulty or has hyper-sensitive protections for example, this can cause the PSU to completely shut off, thus powering off your PC. Then it will return to normal as the sudden power draw is no longer there, and this happens on game launches, thus why you often see this problem just as you launch or start the game for example.

Either way, based on what I can't see about the PSU - it wouldn't be a bad thingt to change it anyway, a poor quality power supply is never worth keeping unless you're using it for simple tests IMO. (See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ ) - If you've also had this for some time, then even more so.

Firstly have you verified that you have all latest drivers installed? (Directly from the manufacturer, not using a driver updater app) - this would include MB/Chipset drivers.
Do you have latest BIOS installed? (Wouldn't recommend updating this currently if the PC can also restart randomly).
Do you just have the 1 RAM module?
Are you running any overlock or XMP/DOCP at all?

Carbowix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
This would be a concern, can't find any reference to it, which would likely tell me it's a poor quality PSU, which is an immediate red flag. I know the Cougar STX isn't fantastic, but I don't know about the STE - however i believe it is a very budget oriented model.
In effect when you start say a game, your GPU suddenly draws a large amount of power from the PSU, in cases where the PSU is faulty or has hyper-sensitive protections for example, this can cause the PSU to completely shut off, thus powering off your PC. Then it will return to normal as the sudden power draw is no longer there, and this happens on game launches, thus why you often see this problem just as you launch or start the game for example.

Either way, based on what I can't see about the PSU - it wouldn't be a bad thingt to change it anyway, a poor quality power supply is never worth keeping unless you're using it for simple tests IMO. (See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ ) - If you've also had this for some time, then even more so.

Firstly have you verified that you have all latest drivers installed? (Directly from the manufacturer, not using a driver updater app) - this would include MB/Chipset drivers.
Do you have latest BIOS installed? (Wouldn't recommend updating this currently if the PC can also restart randomly).
Do you just have the 1 RAM module?
Are you running any overlock or XMP/DOCP at all?

Well I considered the case as a great budget deal since it had also an build in PSU, but didn't think it'll do an early effect like that.
My Drivers are all updated.
I have one lousy 8gb RAM stick.
I have reset my motherboard settings and GPU settings to default, so no overclock is noticed or XMP.
Could you recommend me any budget or good performant PSU to keep things cool for a while? preferrable (600w) since 500w is not recommended at all since its under recommended of my GPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you can borrow a PSU from somewhere first, that would be best, to verify that it is indeed the PSU. I'm only going off the basis that I can see and my experience, and generally the once software/firmware has been eliminated, it tends to go:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Solution

Carbowix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019

It'll take a while to borrow a PSU, but ill see about it, and no it never shutdown on idle only graphics related stuff shut it down.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It'll take a while to borrow a PSU, but ill see about it, and no it never shutdown on idle only graphics related stuff shut it down.
Equally if you can borrow a GPU this might help, could help indicate.
Regardless, from my understand of the STE models, you won't be losing out upgrading the PSU.

All PSUs have a shelf life - and if you've seen the thread I posted above, you can see the kind of damage poor quality ones can do.
I would suggest trying to run in safe mode and see if you can replicate the issue, however being as you say it only happens in certain circumstances, it will be hard to replicate.

may be worth a quick check in Reliability History (type into start menu) and see if any other errors appears outside of the simple "Event 41 - unexpected shutdown".

The evga specs show 600w for that card.
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=db8f805f-ea5e-44c1-9654-f0c115f9028e

Graphics used in games is what kicks up the need for added power.
That is likely why you do ok outside of games.
Then also, I do not know about the STE psu quality. Some 500w units are junk and can't deliver advertised power.
Worse, they can damage components if they fail under load.

If you can't borrow a psu, then order a quality 650w unit from a place with a good return policy.
Expect to pay 15% if you need to return the unit.
My suggestion would be a 650w seasonic focus unit.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186

Carbowix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Equally if you can borrow a GPU this might help, could help indicate.
Regardless, from my understand of the STE models, you won't be losing out upgrading the PSU.

All PSUs have a shelf life - and if you've seen the thread I posted above, you can see the kind of damage poor quality ones can do.
I would suggest trying to run in safe mode and see if you can replicate the issue, however being as you say it only happens in certain circumstances, it will be hard to replicate.

may be worth a quick check in Reliability History (type into start menu) and see if any other errors appears outside of the simple "Event 41 - unexpected shutdown".
Yea they're all Event-41.

Agree the PSU is very likely the cause, but your comment about the PSU keeping the system cool, seems odd. PSU's cool themselves, nothing else. What cooling do you have in the case, what fans to create airflow?
I meant to keep my system running without issues for a while not cooling my system.

Carbowix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Okay, I've planned already on ordering PC's Tailor suggested PSU since its the cheapest and seems already efficient from the reviews I read about it. For now I underclocked my gpu and set a lower power limit to make sure it doesn't exceed and makes the PSU fail, till now the trick is working, so ye I won't my hard stress on the rig till the new one ordered thanks for the help!

Reactions: PC Tailor

Carbowix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
After adding the new the psu. It seems like the issue remains unsolved. I think i started doubting on the gpu since its becoming old already, but it wasnt on that stress for years though. Even tried to downgrade gpu driver to prevent further suspicions on nvidia's side but it seemed the issue of restarting on game launch is faster when downgrading. So sny thoughts guys on whats happening?