[SOLVED] Pc restart when i put 2x4 ram

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
I have 4x2 ram which is 8 gb of ram , i had 8 gb 2x4 , i remove the dual ram and put the 2x4 ram ,to be 12 gb ram, pc keeps restarting , what should i do , do i have to clock ram speed and how to do this?
Mobo gigabyte ga-h77-ds3h
Gtx 1050 ti oc
Psu thermaltake 550w
Windows 10 pro

Solution
First thing is first.
Make sure that your 2gb sticks and your 4gb sticks are all the same generation (i.e. DDR2, DDR3, etc.) They will not work together if they are different generations.

Second thing is to make sure that the 4gb and 2gb sticks are rated for running at the same voltage.

Make sure that your 2x4gb kit is in dual channel slots, and 2x2gb is in the other dual channel slots.

Perform a cmos reset.

If it doesn't work then it doesn't work and the only thing you can do to get more RAM is to buy a proper kit of RAM with more capacity.

Mixing RAM is a gamble. There's no guarantee it'll work, and if it does initially work there is no guarantee that it'll work properly and no guarantee for how long it'll work.

That is why you...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
First thing is first.
Make sure that your 2gb sticks and your 4gb sticks are all the same generation (i.e. DDR2, DDR3, etc.) They will not work together if they are different generations.

Second thing is to make sure that the 4gb and 2gb sticks are rated for running at the same voltage.

Make sure that your 2x4gb kit is in dual channel slots, and 2x2gb is in the other dual channel slots.

Perform a cmos reset.

If it doesn't work then it doesn't work and the only thing you can do to get more RAM is to buy a proper kit of RAM with more capacity.

Mixing RAM is a gamble. There's no guarantee it'll work, and if it does initially work there is no guarantee that it'll work properly and no guarantee for how long it'll work.

That is why you don't bother mixing RAM and also why they are sold in kits.

Solution