PC restart when playing games

cRzz211

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Hi, I build a new pc and when i'm playing games like cs:go he's restarting without an error and boot again. My psu have 500w and i think is support well the rest of the components, the temperatures are ok the gpu have 60 degrees, the cpu in full load 54.

Solution
That's a tough one to troubleshoot.

- When gaming CPU temperatures go through the roof. If it goes beyond the set point in the BIOS the motherboard will shutdown. Not reboot. So I doubt you are hiting this temp limit since you are rebooting and not shutting down.

- Next is a video card issue. This will cause screen tearing and fragmenting. Basically your game frigs up for a few seconds then windows may blue or black screen then may reboot. You are getting a straight reboot without issues so it's not a video card malfunction.

- Next is the reset button. Maybe the wiring or button is shorting causing a reboot. This only occurs in games so I doubt you have an issue with that.

- 2 things I am suspecting. Under the full load...

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
what OS are you using? Are you getting BSODs? Or just straight reboots? Straight reboots indicate something hardware related, BSODs can be software or hardware.
If you're using Win10, it could be the OS. Lots of folks having issues with Win 10.
What exact PSU are you using?

cRzz211

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

My psu is a FL500, i use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and i get straight reboots.

gondo

Distinguished
That's a tough one to troubleshoot.

- When gaming CPU temperatures go through the roof. If it goes beyond the set point in the BIOS the motherboard will shutdown. Not reboot. So I doubt you are hiting this temp limit since you are rebooting and not shutting down.

- Next is a video card issue. This will cause screen tearing and fragmenting. Basically your game frigs up for a few seconds then windows may blue or black screen then may reboot. You are getting a straight reboot without issues so it's not a video card malfunction.

- Next is the reset button. Maybe the wiring or button is shorting causing a reboot. This only occurs in games so I doubt you have an issue with that.

- 2 things I am suspecting. Under the full load of games, your power supply may be providing too much power beyond it's ratings and it's built in protection is causing a reboot. Over power protection or something like that. Video cards will draw more power under load in games.

- Last it could be a software issue. So windows, that particular game, or some drivers. Just something quirky cause the reboot. Even some wierd malware or something.

My strategy would be to try a higher powered, or new power supply. See if the problem persists. If so then just take an hour and reinstall windows. It'll take ages to troubleshoot so just reinstall windows to save time. If after that the problem continues I'd suspect a bad motherboard.

Is it only in 1 certain game, or in all games. If it's 1 particular game it could be software related.

Solution

gerviel

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I have same problem too. My psu is cx750m only 1 year old. no overheat no nothing ,all checked . No BSOD only just restart while plying some high grapich game . plyed d2 many hour not even a single restart . i reinstall grapich driver also the same .. i5 6600k Gtx970g1 16gb ram

javierrhuff

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
It restarts on me when it comes to games that load in to many other players, Like when I load into a pubg game it restarts or when I am loading into a server on Blackdesert online, Skyforge, Startrek Online. Doesn't matter if it is graphically intensive or not. Are there any quick fixes. My discussion is here if you have any ideas.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3527727/force-restarting.html
I have a 970 NVidia graphics card,
16gb of ram
asus motherboard
i5 processor,

cssm321

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
hi i have the same problem...

and i have tried all the above things and it's not working :/

but it only when i play wow or use handbrake (a prog. to converte video files)

my spec.

nvidia geforce gtx 750 ti 2gb ddr5 strix
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, Socket-AM3+
8 GB DDR 3 RAM
amd phenom II x6 1090t black edition