[SOLVED] PC Restart when turn on AC

Aviorrok

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi,
I have a PC and Air conditioner in my basement 95% when I turn my AC the PC restart immediately, recently the AC in my room (other floor!) also restart the PC in the basement when I turn it on. What I need to check and how can I fix it?

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad Core
Motherboard: MSI H81M P33
Video Card: MSI GTX 970
Memory: KingStone 16GB
Power Supply: Corsair VS650

Solution
To see if they are on the same breaker, trip it and see which oulets also go dead.
if they are on separate breakers, it might be that its on the same leg or that the ground placement of the 2 circuits are causing a problem, but I'm guessing that's beyond your knowledge if you're asking this question, so don't just go messing around with the breaker box wiring.
A UPS would solve all the problems regardless of breakers and the like. A higher grade PSU might be enough too. I think some give good power below 80 volts, and those likely have enough caps to keep everything running regardless of a 2 second blip that drops it even lower, but I'd have guessed your corsair was decent enough.

eta: the Tom's review of the PSU suggests it has...
Try plugging the computer into another outlet in a different room and try turning on the AC again. If the PC doesn't switch off then the AC and the outlet your computer is plugged into initially are connected to the same line/breaker. Which means you're most likely exceeding the amount of power that line can draw at a time. You most likely have older cabling which would need to be replaced and possibly a breaker, you'll need a certified electrician to confirm all this for you.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
To see if they are on the same breaker, trip it and see which oulets also go dead.
if they are on separate breakers, it might be that its on the same leg or that the ground placement of the 2 circuits are causing a problem, but I'm guessing that's beyond your knowledge if you're asking this question, so don't just go messing around with the breaker box wiring.
A UPS would solve all the problems regardless of breakers and the like. A higher grade PSU might be enough too. I think some give good power below 80 volts, and those likely have enough caps to keep everything running regardless of a 2 second blip that drops it even lower, but I'd have guessed your corsair was decent enough.

eta: the Tom's review of the PSU suggests it has problems with unbalanced loads and might have cap failures that pop up down the road; by my understanding of what I'm reading. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs650-psu,6017.html

Last edited:
Solution