Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hi ,
I played all weekend on my pc and everything was fine until monday night , it started yo have an bsod with some driver error so reeinstalled the driver , everything worked fine for some hours . After some hours my PSU started to make some loud noise , Same as this noise
View: https://youtu.be/KhvfKk0aR_I
, I slightly moved the computer and it stopped , after a while it maked a different noise like a clicking noise .
Made the same thing and it stopped , used the computer for some hours after that and decided to run heaven benchmark to test for some hardware issue , turns out that after more or less 40 min the computer monitor show no signal and pc restarted and showed this error "All settings were reset to default values"
Until this time I have sure that cpu and gpu temps were fine all day , even during many hours playing on weekend .
What could be the issue here ??

My specs are :
MSI A88XM-E35
XFX RX580 until this error was on 75 or 76°c on previous tests on heaven benchmark on Extreme . During gaming never pass 70°c exept Crysis 3 that reach to 73 °+-
Corsair vs550
Corsair xms3 4gb+4gb
AMD A8 6600k 55°c max temp

Solution
Hi ,
I played all weekend on my pc and everything was fine until monday night , it started yo have an bsod with some driver error so reeinstalled the driver , everything worked fine for some hours . After some hours my PSU started to make some loud noise , Same as this noise
, I slightly moved the computer and it stopped , after a while it maked a different noise like a clicking noise .
Made the same thing and it stopped , used the computer for some hours after that and decided to run heaven benchmark to test for some hardware issue , turns out that after more or less 40 min the computer monitor show no signal and pc restarted and showed this error "All...

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
So my girls PC had similar issue. check the cable connection from the power supply. Heck unplug and re-plug them in just to be sure. Turns out a loose power cable may have enough connection to turn on even operate but when it starts heating up cause the connection to get loose again. Cannot guarantee this will fix it but it might.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
So my girls PC had similar issue. check the cable connection from the power supply. Heck unplug and re-plug them in just to be sure. Turns out a loose power cable may have enough connection to turn on even operate but when it starts heating up cause the connection to get loose again. Cannot guarantee this will fix it but it might.
You are talking about the cable from the power plug to the PSU ? Or pci cable to the GPU ?

Hi ,
Made the same thing and it stopped , used the computer for some hours after that and decided to run heaven benchmark to test for some hardware issue , turns out that after more or less 40 min the computer monitor show no signal and pc restarted and showed this error "All settings were reset to default values"
Until this time I have sure that cpu and gpu temps were fine all day , even during many hours playing on weekend .
What could be the issue here ??

My specs are :
MSI A88XM-E35
XFX RX580 until this error was on 75 or 76°c on previous tests on heaven benchmark on Extreme . During gaming never pass 70°c exept Crysis 3 that reach to 73 °+-
Corsair vs550
Corsair xms3 4gb+4gb
AMD A8 6600k 55°c max temp

1st of all your title is misleading. You said pc crashed without warning but then your thread says you got multiple bsods and errors leading up to the crash.

2nd, from your video, are you sure the clicking is coming from the psu itself?

IF YOUR SURE ITS THE PSU, then it could be the fan clicking and dying out which isnt supply enough cooling for the psu which in turn shuts down when it overheats.

If your not 100% sure its the psu, the 1st thing that comes to mind when I hear "clicking" is a dying HDD.

Have you ran tests on the HDD?

Solution

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
1st of all your title is misleading. You said pc crashed without warning but then your thread says you got multiple bsods and errors leading up to the crash.

2nd, from your video, are you sure the clicking is coming from the psu itself?

IF YOUR SURE ITS THE PSU, then it could be the fan clicking and dying out which isnt supply enough cooling for the psu which in turn shuts down when it overheats.

If your not 100% sure its the psu, the 1st thing that comes to mind when I hear "clicking" is a dying HDD.

Have you ran tests on the HDD?
1 the mais reason why I posted my question is the error's after the bsod that gave me no warning , so that's the reason for the title .
2 yes the loud and clicking noise is from the PSU because I've tested it removing all components exept cpu once .
3 I have the system on a SSD and I've ran the tests there .
I am not sure about the PSU be the problem besides all the noise , that's why I am asking here .

Well if it is really the PSU a good fan cleaning and oil the fan could solve it ?

1 the mais reason why I posted my question is the error's after the bsod that gave me no warning , so that's the reason for the title .
2 yes the loud and clicking noise is from the PSU because I've tested it removing all components exept cpu once .
3 I have the system on a SSD and I've ran the tests there .
I am not sure about the PSU be the problem besides all the noise , that's why I am asking here .

Well if it is really the PSU a good fan cleaning and oil the fan could solve it ?

CAUTION

Opening a PSU can be dangerous. Do so at your own risk. (make sure the psu has had enough time to discharge any excess energy)

I mean technically a good cleaning and even if the re-oil works, then yes it could make the fan work more efficently again, but this will only resolve your issue if the PSU fan is the issue.

PSUs dont usually "click" even when they are going bad which is why I said it could be the fan if your sure its coming from the PSU.

I had a dying PSU fan that died, literally, but then worked again for 4 years following. The luck of the draw I guess.

However if cleaning the psu fan, and re-oiling doesnt resolve the issue, then its most likely not the psu.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
CAUTION

Opening a PSU can be dangerous. Do so at your own risk. (make sure the psu has had enough time to discharge any excess energy)

I mean technically a good cleaning and even if the re-oil works, then yes it could make the fan work more efficently again, but this will only resolve your issue if the PSU fan is the issue.

PSUs dont usually "click" even when they are going bad which is why I said it could be the fan if your sure its coming from the PSU.

I had a dying PSU fan that died, literally, but then worked again for 4 years following. The luck of the draw I guess.

However if cleaning the psu fan, and re-oiling doesnt resolve the issue, then its most likely not the psu.
Yes the sound is from PSU for sure . I tested it whitout nothing more turned on exept the cpu and it makes the same noises . The clicking noise is from the PSU fan and the other noise is from PSU too

I think I am gonna try cleaning it and test my gpu on another pc to be sure

Reactions: Jason H.
Yes the sound is from PSU for sure . I tested it whitout nothing more turned on exept the cpu and it makes the same noises . The clicking noise is from the PSU fan and the other noise is from PSU too

I think I am gonna try cleaning it and test my gpu on another pc to be sure

Please make sure you let the PSU discharge any energy that it is currently storing before opening the PSU. Usually takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour to discharge. Sometimes it takes no time, its just a precaution.

You probably wouldnt die but it would hurt like hell.

Let us know how cleaning the fan and re-oiling it works.

But I strongly suggest that you only do this if you know what your doing.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Please make sure you let the PSU discharge any energy that it is currently storing before opening the PSU. Usually takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour to discharge. Sometimes it takes no time, its just a precaution.

You probably wouldnt die but it would hurt like hell.

Let us know how cleaning the fan and re-oiling it works.

But I strongly suggest that you only do this if you know what your doing.
Well I opened one old PSU to see how it is inside and was not hard to take off the fan .
Hope that this one will not be too .

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
sorry about the late update I decided to change the fan on the PSU and the fan does not work at all , and I tested the same fan on another PSU and the fan works on that .... seems that´s something wrong on my PSU