Question PC restarting after 15 seconds of benchmark or playing a game

May 23, 2019
Just purchased a brand new Corsair 750W power supply along with a Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse graphics card, and also had to get a replacement for the graphics card because I thought it was causing the problems. PC has been restarting within 1-15 seconds of benchmarking or playing a game. Before I replaced the power supply, my computer wouldn't restart, instead it would power off the entire system. Been trying to troubleshoot this for days and can't find a solution. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

May 23, 2019
Please post your complete system specs. Also have you been monitoring the CPU temp? This points to an overheating issue or something is going on with the motherboard.
I have been monitoring all of the temperatures and all are within normal range.
System - Ryzen 5 2600 OC 4Ghz
Sapphire RX Vega 56 pulse 8gb
ASRock B450m pro4 motherboard
Corsair 750W
GSkill Ripjaws 3000mhz
1tb WD Blue

Before you ask, I’ve been using this overclocked cpu for quite a while and no issues with it at all. Also should note that my system is fully functional with my old R9 380 graphics card.

Undo the CPU overclocking and return the CPU to its stock normal clocks. You may be over-stressing the motherboard VRM with that overclock. If that solves the issue then your overclocking ambitions were higher than your components could handle. You have to lower your expectations but first you have to find out if the overclock is causing this.

You should always start your troubleshooting efforts with the overclock. The fact that an overclock was working yesterday doesn't guarantee that it will also work tomorrow for a lot of reasons. Additionally your new GPU is more power hungry than the old one and it will also raise the overall temp inside your case which may cause the motherboard VRM to overheat beyond its safe limit. There are a lot of factors you should consider here.

Finally you should make sure that you are using the latest BIOS version. If you are afraid to perform that update now, you should re-install the old GPU and do it.

EDIT. Of course there is always the chance that the new GPU is still faulty (and it seemed like the obvious suspect in the beginning). You may have already replaced it with another graphics card but I think that you should try testing it on another desktop PC just in case.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
I have tried using it at stock clock speed and it still restarts within seconds. I have stress tested my cpu several times at 4.0ghz at 1.35V and has not crashed yet. Also just a question, what is a safe motherboard temperature under load?

It depends on the specific motherboard and each component has different temp limits. The chipset normally ranges between 40-50 C but the VRM can reach over 80 C and most motherboards throttle or shut down/restart close to 100 C. What motherboard temp readings are you getting? Also are you using the latest BIOS version?

May 23, 2019
It depends on the specific motherboard and each component has different temp limits. The chipset normally ranges between 40-50 C but the VRM can reach over 80 C and most motherboards throttle or shut down/restart close to 100 C. What motherboard temp readings are you getting? Also are you using the latest BIOS version?
Idle temps are 35-40 and I haven’t really had a chance to monitor load temps because of the constant restart. My cpu typically is 55C under load and gpu is 30 idle (also haven’t been able to see load temps). I’ll have to check to make sure I’m using the latest bios.

May 23, 2019
Update: updates bios to latest version
Update: updated to the latest bios version, unplugged logs of stuff and replugged them in, still getting same issue. PC runs benchmarker for maybe 1-2 seconds and restarts with no warning. I can play low demanding games just fine and do simple tasks.

May 23, 2019
It's possible it's a faulty psu. It works fine under light load, but as soon as you need more it shuts down. What model psu is it?
PSU is CORSAIR - CX Series Modular CX750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze ATX Power Supply. It’s literally brand new and I was also having similar issue with my other power supply so it’s a low chance it’s the PSU.