[SOLVED] PC Restarting any time I try to load a game

Apr 21, 2020
So I recently decided to make some upgrades to my PC. I upgraded my CPU which required a new motherboard and RAM as well.
My current specs are:

radeon 5700 xt
ryzen 3700x
16 GB DDR4 RAM
X470F - Gaming
And a 650W Gold power supply (DQ650ST - 4.5 years old)

Now, everything seems fine with my system, but when ever I try to load into any game, for example Sekiro or Overwatch, my PC will turn black and just instantaneously restart. The game doesn't even get to the point of anything intensive before it just restarts. Usually, the PC will restart practically seconds after pressing launch on Overwatch.

However, I have noticed that this doesn't happen with Portal 2, which runs fine at 144 fps 1440p , and other (much) less intensive games do not experience the same issue. However, anytime I try to launch a slightly more intensive game, the same issue arrises.

I have already tried updating and removing and reinstalling my drivers, I've reinstalled the entirety of Windows 10 as well, and none of these solutions worked. I ran a memory diagnostic and switched the slots for my ram and found nothing changed, my ram seems to be working correctly / fine.

The GPU (5700 xt) was already previously working on my last motherboard and CPU. It seems really unlikely that it got ruined during the swap.

My main theory now is that it is a PSU issue. But from what I understand, 650W should be plenty to power the system. My only concern is that my PSU is quite old, maybe a bit over 4 years perhaps, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Another thing to note is that all I changed was the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Prior, I had an i5 4460, which supposedly uses MORE power, so is my theory incorrect? How could my psu have powered my old CPU, but my new parts be causing it an issue? Although, the way the system just restarts all point to a PSU issue.

Lastly, I bought the motherboard from Amazon Warehouse as a return. I really highly doubt this is the issue though. Everything else works fine with the mobo, and if the mobo was at fault then I genuinely just don't see how other games like portal 2 could run and I'd have no issues with anything else.

I've already checked the temps as well and noticed absolutely nothing out of the regular.

This is absolutely killing me. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
My bad, its a DQ650ST. (thats what it says on the side)
Yes, that is also what I find strange. I've tested in increasing intensiveness of games to see the results - so far games like Witcher 3, Overwatch, and Sekiro practically restart during the launch of the game.

Portal 2 runs fine all the way through, but if I try to run something like Crash bandicoot which may be more intensive than portal 2 but less than the other games, I can load into the hub and then try to go into a world, and then it finally restarts.

It seems like the intensiveness is relevant, but it still doesn't explain why those games reset my PC on launch, rather than when anything intensive is actually happening.

Also, I feel like 144 fps on Portal 2 is probably...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
EVGA 650ST Gold

Can you double check this model? As far as I know there was no 650ST. 4 years ago they would have had a 650 G2 which is a good PSU, or a 650 GQ which is ok.

The 5700XT is not that power hungry but can have a pretty strong amp draw on startup which could cause your issue but the fact portal 2 works is strange even though its an older game.

Apr 21, 2020
Can you double check this model? As far as I know there was no 650ST. 4 years ago they would have had a 650 G2 which is a good PSU, or a 650 GQ which is ok.

The 5700XT is not that power hungry but can have a pretty strong amp draw on startup which could cause your issue but the fact portal 2 works is strange even though its an older game.

Yes, that is also what I find strange. I've tested in increasing intensiveness of games to see the results - so far games like Witcher 3, Overwatch, and Sekiro practically restart during the launch of the game.

Portal 2 runs fine all the way through, but if I try to run something like Crash bandicoot which may be more intensive than portal 2 but less than the other games, I can load into the hub and then try to go into a world, and then it finally restarts.

It seems like the intensiveness is relevant, but it still doesn't explain why those games reset my PC on launch, rather than when anything intensive is actually happening.

Also, I feel like 144 fps on Portal 2 is probably more intensive than 46 fps on crash bandicoot, but then again I don't know.

Also another thing to take note of is that the 5700 worked fine with this power supply with my previous motherboard and processor. Only after changing the mobo, processor, ram, have these issues arose.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Also, I feel like 144 fps on Portal 2 is probably more intensive than 46 fps on crash bandicoot, but then again I don't know.

Also another thing to take note of is that the 5700 worked fine with this power supply with my previous motherboard and processor. Only after changing the mobo, processor, ram, have these issues arose.

Ok so that PSU is NOT an EVGA. In haven't been able to find any solid reviews of that unit but being its at least 4 years old it may have been worn down a bit. That said I'm not 100% ready to toss it out, but if you had access to another PSU I would test that first.

Now the other issue is you did say you bought the motherboard open box. One of the things the board does is provide SOME power to the GPU via the slot. So if its not working properly it could seem like your GPU or PSU is bad when in reality your motherboard isn't running the slot properly. The fact both the GPU and PSU worked fine on your old system lends credence to this.

There are a lot of things I would buy used. A motherboard isn't one of them. Too complex and easy to screw up.

Solution
Apr 21, 2020
Ok so that PSU is NOT an EVGA. In haven't been able to find any solid reviews of that unit but being its at least 4 years old it may have been worn down a bit. That said I'm not 100% ready to toss it out, but if you had access to another PSU I would test that first.

Now the other issue is you did say you bought the motherboard open box. One of the things the board does is provide SOME power to the GPU via the slot. So if its not working properly it could seem like your GPU or PSU is bad when in reality your motherboard isn't running the slot properly. The fact both the GPU and PSU worked fine on your old system lends credence to this.

There are a lot of things I would buy used. A motherboard isn't one of them. Too complex and easy to screw up.

I'm gonna try a new PSU tomorrow and see what happens and will update you guys,

I totally understand that the motherboard could be the issue, but I feel like given the behavior of the computer is just seems so unlikely that the mobo would work in every other scenario except for launching intensive games. It is mind boggling to me that I can run Portal 2 in 144fps but get a hard reset just LAUNCHING games like overwatch, witcher 3, and sekiro.

Another thing suggested I may try, is trying a different PCIE slot

Apr 21, 2020

I just had some completely WEIRD behavior.

I was playing portal 2 fine, when I decided to swap to Borderless Fullscreen. The swap to borderless fullscreen effectively reset my computer.... the issue just keeps getting more weird.

I also got an error when randomly crashing on desktop a bit ago, VIDEO_TDR FAILURE

Apr 21, 2020
So I was able to load into sekiro and get it running by IMMENSELY lowering the resolution and graphic settings. As I proceeded to highten them though, I eventually hit a point where the pc crashed and restarted.

Also, it seems that changing Portal 2 to borderless window consistently causes the PC to crash and reset.

With this I think I'm a little more confident it is a PSU issue, or like you said an issue with the motherboard providing power to the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS