PC restarting during games

kickass8596

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Hi

I have made my own build, and it has been giving me some trouble. Whenever i play graphics intensive games, such as Battlefield 3 or Black Ops 2, my pc restarts. There is no BSOD. It is a complete restart, with no warning. This can happen 5 minutes into the game, or 2 hours into the game

I have tested everything in my system. I have swopped out my memory, replaced my PSU, added a new cooler for my CPU. I even had my graphics card RMA'd, but as soon as I put the new card back in, the PC would restart again. I have checked the temps. My GPU does not go above 75 degrees C while my CPU does not go above 60 degrees C.

I have reinstalled my drivers, and even done a full system format, but nothing has seemed to help. I am stuck with the only options being the CPU, or the motherboard, and I really don't know which one it could be.

I have stress tested my CPU, and it can run at 100% happily, while never going above 60 Degrees C, which leads me to believe that it is more likely my motherboard.

I am sorry for such a long message. I just really have no idea what else to do, as nothing i have done has helped at all.

My System Specs are:

Motherboard: P8Z77-M Pro
RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
CPU: i7 3770K 3.5 Ghz
PSU: 700W Huntkey
GPU: EVGA 2GB 660ti FTW edition
HDD's: 500GB os drive, 2TB

I really would appreciate any help given
Thanks a lot in advance

kickass8596

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I have reset my bios. I have flashed and updated my bios as well.

The strange thing is this happens when i run my PC with my 660. When i take my 660 out and run on my i7's HD4000 graphics, or i run on my older HD5770 graphics card, this problem does not occur at all. For that reason, I had my card RMA'd, and i received a brand new 660ti FTW edition. I thought this would solve the problem, but as soon as I started playing Battlefield 3, it happened again.

This would make me think that it is a power supply issue, but my power supply is definitely sufficient, an I have also swopped it out, and tried with a different power supply, but the problem has continued. The power supply I'm currently using is also brand new.

kickass8596

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I've done that as well, but I still don't get a bsod. What happens is the pc will shut down immediately, a complete loss of power. It will then stay off for about 2 - 3 seconds, and then it will startup by itself again.

I have also read that there could be a conflict of sound drivers, but I have disabled the specific driver, but the problem still continues.

It truly can only be the CPU or motherboard now, but which do you think is more likely to be the problem?

kickass8596

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I have just gotten a new cooler for my CPU for that reason, and I have kept a close eye on all my temps, and it is definitely not an overheating problem. The CPU does not go over 60 degrees at any given time, while the gpu doesn't Go over 75 degrees.

I also have norton antivirus which is always kept up to date and scans my pc quite regularly

I can try get hold of another power supply, but I'm not sure when I will be able to do it by. I also feel it might not be the power supply as I used a different power supply which was also sufficient, and did the exact same thing. I believe both the CPU and motherboard are still under warranty, but I would like to try isolate the problem to a specific component before I take it in.

oczdude8

Distinguished
have you connected both 6 pin power connections on the 660? they both need to be separate cables from the psu and not 1 cable that is split into 2 6 pin ends.

and yea check your gpu temps, but I doubt gpu temps would cause a restart; they would cause the gpu to throttle and you would get severely reduced fps.

kickass8596

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I have run both fur mark and cpuid. My voltages seem to be fine no matter what power my gpu or CPU are drawing

I'm also using 2 separate 6 pin connectors to connect my gpu.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get hold of another CPU to tests with

kickass8596

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Yeah, that might isolate the problem though. The sarangi thing it would crash when I had my nvidia 660, but then it worked fine when I was on my hd4000 or hd5770. So today I'm going to do a complete format of my system, and install the drivers that I got with the card. It could possibly be a driver problem, so it's worth a try again

The_Evenger

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I would double check your PSU, I had built a new rig, and re-used my PSU, and a GPU, the PSU was a 450w, and the GPU was a sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb, when I did my rig upgrade, my rig would shut down like someone pulled the cord randomly whenever playing games, and it lasted about a month before it finally killed the PSU, and it was replaced with a 850w one, and after that I was having no issues.

matthewjonson23

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
You can upgrade your stock CPU fan with a suitable gaming fan. Use GeForce GTX 660 graphics card and of course notice the temperature during gaming if it exceeds 100 degree C then download MSI Afterburner software. This software will automatically adjust graphics card's setting.

matthewjonson23

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Go to System Properties>Advanced>Click on startup and recovery settings.
Under System failure there is a box that says Automatically restart try unchecking that box. This wont fix it but it will tell you whats going wrong when the error happens.