[SOLVED] PC Restarting every hour after a power outage happened while it was booting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 2021
The title actually says it all, and yes, I gotta commend the perfect timing of our electricity provider. But before all of this, my PC actually had a history of randomly shutting down and the red LED in my PC case is blinking every second, but this stopped months ago. Now a new challenger came and I'm actually quite more scared than before. Kinda need a hand.

Solution
I'll skip out on buying a new generic one then. May I just ask if this is a serious issue?
Yes, it is a serious issue
None of us here will ever recommend buying a generic PSU for use
It's a sure way to turn your PC to scrap if it fails.
Not everything that's offered in the market is good, you have to pick the good PSUs from the bad PSUs.
Just like in a grocery store, there's the sweets section and the vegetables section.
I wouldn't even consider buying "a new generic one"
Its like buying another ticking time bomb, rather than a quality PSU that will last you and you end up in the same cycle of wasting money.

Can it still last long until the end of this year after all those months of making that noise?
Nobody can ever...
Oct 16, 2021
Okay, first off, I'm really sorry for this late update. For this issue, I just found out that when me and my father were applying thermal paste for my CPU, he screwed the fan too much that it won't spin, causing my CPU to overheat and resulting a shutdown, but still, I wont go far to this PSU thing. I still have something for my PSU.

I have suspected that the grinding noise when cold boot in my PC was my PSU fan, it's been there for months already. I'm planning to change my PSU for the same one and use it for only a month because I also use my computer to work. Unfortunately, my cheque's still next month, possibly until January. Is it fine to use the same generic brand for at least a month until I can afford a better one?

Okay, first off, I'm really sorry for this late update. For this issue, I just found out that when me and my father were applying thermal paste for my CPU, he screwed the fan too much that it won't spin, causing my CPU to overheat and resulting a shutdown, but still, I wont go far to this PSU thing. I still have something for my PSU.

I have suspected that the grinding noise when cold boot in my PC was my PSU fan, it's been there for months already. I'm planning to change my PSU for the same one and use it for only a month because I also use my computer to work. Unfortunately, my cheque's still next month, possibly until January. Is it fine to use the same generic brand for at least a month until I can afford a better one?
As others have stated, getting a generic PSU is a gamble. It can cause serious damage to your system, or work perfectly fine. That is a decision you are going to have to make on your own.

Oct 16, 2021
As others have stated, getting a generic PSU is a gamble. It can cause serious damage to your system, or work perfectly fine. That is a decision you are going to have to make on your own.
I'll skip out on buying a new generic one then. May I just ask if this is a serious issue? Because it's only in startup, it makes that loud grinding noise for 15-20 seconds then disappears. Can it still last long until the end of this year after all those months of making that noise?

I'll skip out on buying a new generic one then. May I just ask if this is a serious issue?
Not everything that's offered in the market is good, you have to pick the good PSUs from the bad PSUs.
Just like in a grocery store, there's the sweets section and the vegetables section.
Its like buying another ticking time bomb, rather than a quality PSU that will last you and you end up in the same cycle of wasting money.

Can it still last long until the end of this year after all those months of making that noise?
Nobody can ever say or tell. It depends on the condition of that component.
The most reserve advice is to completely avoid it, or use it at your own risk.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Oct 16, 2021

Nobody can ever say or tell. It depends on the condition of that component.
The most reserve advice is to completely avoid it, or use it at your own risk.
The components seems fine for me, It never had any system failures related to the PSU, it's just the fan's loud noise that's been making me anxious.