Question PC restarting - I think it may be connected to GPU

aluizgollo

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
Hi there!

I'm having some kinda random PC restarts. It started happening after I bought my RTX 2060, but not exactly after, more like a few weeks later.
They are not totally random restarts, they happen when GPU is being used, but in some specific cases.
Currently, it is restarting while: playing Destiny 2 through Steam (sometimes I can't even play the game, as soon as the character appears on screen, the PC reboots), rendereing with Blender (I do renders with some frequency) and while playing CS:GO (which is odd, since it isn't a heavy game on the GPU).

These are my specs:
MB: Gigabyte B360 Aorus Gaming 3
CPU: Intel i5-8400
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6GB
RAM: 2x HyperX Fury 8GB 2400Mhz modules, 16GB total. They are, obviously in dual channel.
PSU: EVGA 650W, model 100-N1-0650-L0.
HDD: 1x Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, 7200RPM.
SSD: 1x Kingston 480GB.
Monitor: LG ultrawide 29", 60-75Mhz (comes default with 60, but it can be changed in Nvidia control panel to 75).

Already tried: reinstalling drivers, changing from Game Ready to Nvidia Studio.
Runned some antivirus and everything looked fine.
I monitored temps and they look fine (also, temps wouldn't rise much while playing CS:GO...).
Maybe it can be related to PSU also? Don't know.

I'd be so glad if someone give me some light in this matter. Or maybe just help me to diagnose the right issue.

Thanks!!

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? You might want to include the age of the PSU. Can you source a donor PSU that is higher in terms of build quality but has 550W of power for the entire system? What GPU were you on prior to the RTX2060? Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstalled them with the latest from Nvidia's support site?

Version for Windows 10?

aluizgollo

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? You might want to include the age of the PSU. Can you source a donor PSU that is higher in terms of build quality but has 550W of power for the entire system? What GPU were you on prior to the RTX2060? Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstalled them with the latest from Nvidia's support site?

Version for Windows 10?

I'm currently at work, but I can check the BIOS version when I get home. PSU is about 2 and a half years old.
And I didn't follow your last question. What do you mean by source a donor PSU? You mean get a PSU from a friend or something? Sorry, english is not my native language :sweatsmile:

I was using a Zotac GeForce GTX 770, the 4GB model.

And no, wasn't aware of this DDU. I'll give it a try. I just reinstalled through GF Experience.

Windows 10 Pro, version 2004.

Last edited: