[SOLVED] PC restarting itself - error during memtest

May 23, 2022
Hello!

I have a problem with my pc. Sometimes it just suddenly resets by itself. I'm not sure when it started, but it seems it started happening more often in the last week, without any hardware change.
In the last year, I've changed most of the PC parts (GPU, CPU, Motherboard, and recently PSU) so in general, this is a quite new PC.

As can be seen, I didn't list RAM memory - these were not touched and I have the same 16Gb I bought almost 7 years ago.
The reason I listed this problem in Memory thread, is that the first thing I've done is to run memtest86 and I received a single error. The error I got was in test 8 (random numbers). After that, I repeated memtest run, only for test 8. Again, I received 1 error (although the first time I received it on pass #3, and on the second run on pass #1).

Now, I would like to ask someone more knowledgeable than me on the topic, whether that means I have to buy new RAM, or something else can cause it (or perhaps memtest error is not related to restarts). Or perhaps I have to run more tests. Also, I've noticed that the motherboard advises using specific two ports for RAM if you don't use all four and I use different ones (it advises slots A2 and B2 and I use B1 and B2) but I assume that wouldn't be cause for PC restart.

Please advise. Should I buy new RAM, or do something else.

My PC details:
RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 2400MHz DDR4 ram, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair HX1200 1200W

Solution
Hello!

I have a problem with my pc. Sometimes it just suddenly resets by itself. I'm not sure when it started, but it seems it started happening more often in the last week, without any hardware change.
In the last year, I've changed most of the PC parts (GPU, CPU, Motherboard, and recently PSU) so in general, this is a quite new PC.

As can be seen, I didn't list RAM memory - these were not touched and I have the same 16Gb I bought almost 7 years ago.
The reason I listed this problem in Memory thread, is that the first thing I've done is to run memtest86 and I received a single error. The error I got was in test 8 (random numbers). After that, I repeated memtest run, only for test 8. Again, I received 1 error (although the first...
Hello!

The reason I listed this problem in Memory thread, is that the first thing I've done is to run memtest86 and I received a single error. The error I got was in test 8 (random numbers). After that, I repeated memtest run, only for test 8. Again, I received 1 error (although the first time I received it on pass #3, and on the second run on pass #1).

Now, I would like to ask someone more knowledgeable than me on the topic, whether that means I have to buy new RAM, or something else can cause it (or perhaps memtest error is not related to restarts). Or perhaps I have to run more tests. Also, I've noticed that the motherboard advises using specific two ports for RAM if you don't use all four and I use different ones (it advises slots A2 and B2 and I use B1 and B2) but I assume that wouldn't be cause for PC restart.

Please advise. Should I buy new RAM, or do something else.

My PC details:
RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 2400MHz DDR4 ram, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair HX1200 1200W
See if there is a bios update.
Memtest should not show any errors.

If you can get it to that point consider using slots a2+b2.....dual channel.

Solution