[SOLVED] PC restarting itself even after hardware change (not a boot issue)

Jul 26, 2020
I have been having an issue in which my PC will shut off and turn back on by itself while playing games sometimes. I haven't had any high temp problems, but i figured maybe my motherboard or cpu was having issues.

I just got some new components and installed them and these are my specs.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Geforce 1070 Ti
Corsair CX750M power supply
G.Skill Flare X 16 GB of RAM
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard

The only components that have not changed between the previous and new builds are the Graphics card, and power supply. I upgraded motherboard, RAM, and CPU to those listed above, and even a new case.

The other thing i suspect is it may have something to do with having 2 SSD's installed. I believe my issue started occurring sometime after i installed a second SSD but i can't pinpoint that for sure.
I have a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (the new one) in addition to a SanDisk Ultra II 480GB (This one has Windows on it). Both are SATA III 6GB/s.

This has happened on games such as Apex Legends, Valorant, Borderlands 3, and Halo 3.
Some of these games are on the SanDisk SSD, and some are on the new Samsung SSD.

I also ran a stress test with the Unigine Heaven Benhmark with ultra quality and Tesseltation set to extreme and i did not have GPU temps higher than 70 C.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot what is going on here? I thought for sure that the new hardware would solve whatever is happening (it was time for upgrades anyway, but still).

Solution
Ok i went to the critical error and here is the data below:
Also i should note that this issue doesn't happen every single time i play, it seems very random.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 7/26/2020 12:40:42 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-7NMSQNT
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"...
Jul 26, 2020
Sounds like the psu. Check event viewer in windows to see what critical error it has around the time you restart. Start event viewer, expand 'windows logs' and click system. There will be a list with an error type, date/time, and a source of the error.

Also i should note that this issue doesn't happen every single time i play, it seems very random.

Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-07-26T05:40:42.481036700Z" />
<EventRecordID>52534</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-7NMSQNT</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Last edited:

Description:
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-07-26T05:40:42.481036700Z" />
<EventRecordID>52534</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-7NMSQNT</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Alright, so it's just a generic error. This can mean many things and usually the only way to solve it is to throw enough crud at the wall till it sticks lol.

Did you do a fresh install of windows when you got the new parts?
Disable any overclocks if you had any.

I'd first try plugging the pc directly into the wall rather then a surge protector or power strip.
After that, try running memtest86 from a flash drive to check for memory errors. (sometimes you only need to re-seat the ram)
If there are no errors after a few hours(ideally you want it to run overnight), go into safe mode and DDU your graphics drivers. Here's a how-to https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ .
A bios update could also help if the board is running an old bios.

I suppose if those don't do it, you can try playing with the power settings in windows, that does it for a few people.

Solution
Jul 26, 2020
Alright, so it's just a generic error. This can mean many things and usually the only way to solve it is to throw enough crud at the wall till it sticks lol.

Did you do a fresh install of windows when you got the new parts?
Disable any overclocks if you had any.

I'd first try plugging the pc directly into the wall rather then a surge protector or power strip.
After that, try running memtest86 from a flash drive to check for memory errors. (sometimes you only need to re-seat the ram)
If there are no errors after a few hours(ideally you want it to run overnight), go into safe mode and DDU your graphics drivers. Here's a how-to https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ .
A bios update could also help if the board is running an old bios.

I suppose if those don't do it, you can try playing with the power settings in windows, that does it for a few people.

So I have run memtest86 a few days ago for a couple hours. It performed 2 full passes with no errors.
I also used the DDU tool to uninstall old AMD drivers i had and the NVIDIA drivers, and reinstalled the latest.
The motherboard recently released and is new so i don't think it is the BIOS, considering this happened with my old motherboard as well.
I didn't do a fresh install of windows with my latest parts, just booted from the SSD and reactivated the license.
I don't have any overclocks either.
After all this I played games for a few days, and last night the restart in the middle of a game happened again.
Are there any specific power settings you recommend I change?
Maybe I will need a new power supply.
Thanks